Sign in to follow this  

How many of you ground the head pipe welds?

If you did, and kept the stock muffler, did you notice a big difference or not?

I'm looking more for the guys that kept the stock muffler after grinding the head welds. I would like to grind the welds, but I am forced to keep the stock muffler for a while. If it's going to make a big difference, I'll proceed, if not and only makes a difference with an aftermarket system, I'll hold off. Besides, I'd rather go for the bigger tank, than a silencer

I've also read where people have removed part of the stock can, I don't want this thing to be loud, I have neighbors that I'm on good terms with, so far and don't want to change that.

Would an 03' need the welds ground?

I would think the Honda Engineers would have addressed that issue through the years and with new welding tech.

My '01 XRL had no blockage whatsoever.

Its a crapshoot as to whether there's any grinding to be done.

Dave

I'm planning on doing mine this weekend. I looked at them last night and I'd say the welds protrude almost 1/8" into the pipe.

• Like 1

I did mine, and I don't think it made any difference. Going with an aftermarket oversized header to see if that helps.

i doubt if there's much of a difference...that being said i ground my 01's they definately created a slight restriction in the exhaust path on my bike...hey Scott Summers did it :ride: ...or so it has been written.

it only costs u a little time...🙂 while they're off spend $5 on a can of black high temp paint and paint ur header just make sure to prep it very well and it'll hold up a long time...:D:worthy:

:banghead:

Would an 03' need the welds ground?

I would think the Honda Engineers would have addressed that issue through the years and with new welding tech.

It doesn't NEED to be done. Take yours off and look at it. Honda isn't going to change a small detail like.

I'm planning on doing mine this weekend. I looked at them last night and I'd say the welds protrude almost 1/8" into the pipe.

Take a couple pics, before and after so people can see maybe?🙂

I did mine, and I don't think it made any difference. Going with an aftermarket oversized header to see if that helps.

I tend to side with you Mike. It's minimal at best. Even with a cam, etc...

The bigger headers will definitely help top end, but I think the stock ones are best for the low end torque.

i doubt if there's much of a difference...that being said i ground my 01's they definately created a slight restriction in the exhaust path on my bike...hey Scott Summers did it :banghead: ...or so it has been written.

it only costs u a little time...:D while they're off spend $5 on a can of black high temp paint and paint ur header just make sure to prep it very well and it'll hold up a long time...:worthy::ride:

:banghead:

Right, it's quick and easy to do. Plus it's fun doing these things.

I recommend black BBQ paint. I just did it to my XJ750 header. Prep it well and it is holding up great. 1200 degree protection. A little better than the 500 deg. engine paint.

Yes, it made a differance. No more off idle torque. I switched back to the stock pipe with the restictors. You know, it's not a welding flaw, they are there on purpose. If you open the other end of the pipe up a tiny bit, that works better.

XRL-pipe.jpg

• Like 1