Sign in to follow this  

Skid Plates??? Who makes the best?

I am getting ready to place an order for a few more goodies and want to add a skid plate so I can get this bike off road. I want it to bolt up to the factory bolt holes so that must be considered. Who makes a good one and post pics if you can.

Thumper talk makes a great one. Bolts right to the factory mount locations and looks good. Quality product.

I am getting ready to place an order for a few more goodies and want to add a skid plate so I can get this bike off road. I want it to bolt up to the factory bolt holes so that must be considered. Who makes a good one and post pics if you can.

The one from TT is great. Its looks pretty sick powder coated black too.

drz400019-1.jpg

drz400022-1.jpg

If you want an aluminum skid plate, you can not beat the TT version:thumbsup:

If your looking for CF, your on your own,, I've not yet found what I wanted in an off road skid plate. I like some of the glide plates out there in CF, but not the full skid plates.

Another choice is thermo plastic.

I am testing one from Hyde now, the customer service was a bit rough at first, but the product seems to live up to the claims. Still beating on it so time will tell.

+1 for the Hyde skid plate, I didn't have any customer support issues, just called them direct, recieved the plate in about a week. Took a little fiddling to get it on but seems to work well, and looks good

+1 for the Hyde skid plate, I didn't have any customer support issues, just called them direct, recieved the plate in about a week. Took a little fiddling to get it on but seems to work well, and looks good

My first order request was lost, my second was accepted, but after two months (I was still in Iraq, and really was not tracking what parts had come in and which ones had not) the order had not come in, I emailed a bunch of times, and days later finally got a reply,, they had had some supplier issues, and were now shipping.. I ordered again,,,, and was told a day later,, sorry, we miscalculated the number of back orders, we really do not have any available at this time :D:worthy: Ordered again a few weeks later and it shipped promptly, arriving in just a few days.

Things happen, communication was limited to email... and there were some internal issues the company was dealing with. Overall I'd deal with them again if I wanted another product. 🙂

Hyde here also recieved it in about a week and it went on with no problems took about 5 minutes... also did not notice any more noise being reflected back at me as I have heard that the aluminum plates do...

DSCN0477.jpg

DSCN0478.jpg

The ones that roll all around the motor look like they will do the best job. Out of those, I like the aluminum finish ones like the CRD one. http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/SkidPlatesCRD.html

I'm gonna opt for looks over funtionality though and go with a multi piece unit. The Lightspeed Glide Plate and Case Guards. As well as the Frame Guards, Rear Brake cover, and Chain Guide cover. Add in the Zeta front sprocket cover, Heel Guard, and Rear Disc Guard. The Lightspeed might not protect as well as some of the others, but I really like the look. Plus I'm not a thrasher. I'm a novice rider and I really don't like tearing up my toys. I will ride the hell out of it but I already know I won't go crazy and abuse it on rocks and such. I think the Lightspeed will give me more than enough protection for my type of riding. Anyone else use one of these?

http://www.lightspeedperf.com/products/index.php?action=item&id=19&prevaction=category&previd=1&prevstart=0

drzglideplate.jpg

Light speed three piece skid plate option offers great protection.. YOu will not go wrong with it as long as you like the looks and dont mind the $$$$. One thing I like about the 3 piece set up is,, if I really wack a rock hard and tear up one part.. I can replace just that one part.

I have the utah sport cycle skid plate. They are the manufacturer of the TT plate. I beat the h**l out almost every weekend and it is holding up very well. I have had countless direct hard impacts from bottoming out on rocks with no problems. I recommend it for rocky trail riding. It somewhat depends what kind of riding you are doing. Here is mine coated with a spray on bedliner. It does not look this nice now, the picture was taken right after I coated it.

IMG_2623.jpg

My brother runs Hyde on his '07S and likes it. Says it quiet.

I run TT's plate and have not had any problems. Bolts right up.

Guess it's kinda like why they make more than one type of whisky.🙂