Sign in to follow this  

CRF Mystery Problem

On my last ride my 250R started to get harder to start towards then end of the day so when I brought it home I checked the valves and they were a little out of spec. I shimmed them up, timed the motor and put her together and it wouldnt start. So I went back in and looked at everything at least 6 times, everything looks fine, I replaced the spark plug, cleaned the carburetor, made sure I was getting air, fuel, and spark...everything looks good but the thing wont run. It doesnt even try to, I'm not getting any pops or anything and I'm out of ideas, any thoughts as to what is going on?

Try to bump start it. I've had to bump start it a few times after rebuild. I've ran up and down my drive way like 30-40 times before it went, it fired but never started up. But then started up and never let me down again. (until the valves blew 5 hours in because of idiocy, not from me).

If you havn't tried it, do it. Then write again! 🙂

I've tried bump starting...everything is spinning free. It just doesnt want to fire, it doesnt have any even signs of life.

Is the plug wet? If you have spark, then either you are not getting fuel or not getting air, or you are way out of time on the ignition for some reason. If the plug is not wet, pull the spark plug, pour a thimble full of fuel down the spark plug hole, put the plug back in and give it another stab at the kickstarter.

I THINK I GOT IT!!!!!!! if he shimed the valves, maby the timing is off...

and Detztallica, atleast i corrected my own stupid statement before someone else got to it.....ha

I THINK I GOT IT!!!!!!! if he shimed the valves, maby the timing is off...

and Detztallica, atleast i corrected my own stupid statement before someone else got to it.....ha

Nice smart guy you are! 🙂

He said that he checked everything 6 times, and the timing is one of the things i hope.

Did you wind up the CCT before installing the cam chain? Many others have had similar problems because they just removed the CCT and reinstalled it without winding it up and releasing it. Just a thought. Also make sure the cam chain is on the lower sprocket. Real easy for it to fall off and look like it is on.

i needed it once for my 230.....cause i had the carb apart and it was dry......but yeah good if the bike was sitting

but if your valves are in check and the jetting is correct as long as the bike hasn't sat for a year any bike shouldn't need it

Have you had the slide out of the carb?? If so, check that the slide plate is in the right way round.

Did you fill the carb back up?

Lay the bike on its side until the gas pours out of the carb overflow lines.

twist the trottle 1 or 2 times and kick it.