Sign in to follow this  

water and oil in crankcase breather???

I drained the crankcase breather (The capped one behind front sprocket) on my bike today, I had a very little bit of water first and then about tablespoon of oil, i aslo drained my friend's today and he had about a tablespoon of water only,no oil.

So my question's are:

1. should there be water in them at all? If so how much?

2. should there be oil in them at all? If so how much?

3. why is there either water and oil in them, and where does it come from?

4. If there is not supposed to be water or oil in them, what should be checked to see if it is in need of replacing?

Thanks for the info and help!!!!🙂

No worries there. I have had an 03,04,06, and 07 450 and all of them did the same thing. I believe that the oil comes from positive crankcase pressure and/or slightly over-filled engine oil. Not sure about the water, I always assumed that it came from condensation due to the hot/cold cycles, but I could be wrong on that. Nothing to worry about though.Just make sure you drain often enough that the oil/water don't back up to the airbox or valve cover.

I think that is a drain tube to drain condensation produced when your engine is running. I drain mine regularly, and have had no problems.

No worries there. I have had an 03,04,06, and 07 450 and all of them did the same thing. I believe that the oil comes from positive crankcase pressure and/or slightly over-filled engine oil. Not sure about the water, I always assumed that it came from condensation due to the hot/cold cycles, but I could be wrong on that. Nothing to worry about though.Just make sure you drain often enough that the oil/water don't back up to the airbox or valve cover.

I was thinking the same about the water, but wanted to make sure that the water is even ok to be in there, or if it was coming in from somwhere that it should not be. Anyway I guess i won't worry about it as long as everything runs good. Thanks again.