Sign in to follow this  

Valve seats

Can you get replacment valve seats for these things or is new head time if they have been cut to many times..???

you can send your head away and they will cut the old seats out and press new ones in. Wont cost much and its money well spent 🙂

you can send your head away and they will cut the old seats out and press new ones in. Wont cost much and its money well spent 🙂
Do honda do an oem seat or do you use somthing else/diff compound...

not sure what you mean. To get new seats most people just send their head to a local machine shop. There is different kinds of seats you can get put in the will be better than stock. i got different one, not sure what they are though. Maby someone else cal fill you in on different options for valve seats.

Can you get replacment valve seats for these things or is new head time if they have been cut to many times..???

Yes, you can get replacement seats. RHC can set you up with Nickel based intake seats that are tuffer than stock. The exhaust seats should be fine.

AgentSmith,

I understand where you're comming from. However, if it's a 07 or newer head the stock intake seats are super soft. Putting in SS valves on the intake side and running it hard will often times result in a chipped intake seat. That sintering process they are using for the stock seats results in material that is very in consistant and full of voids. A Mechanical Engineering buddy of mine did a lot of rockwell hardness testing of sintered parts when he was at Fox Racing Shocks and found that the process produced parts with a hardness that was all over the place (not consistant at all - RW10 on some and RW 30 0n others). I think in this case it's an older head - but for the 07 and newer heads replacing the intake seats may be worth while. I myself have a 07 head and had to replace the intake seats due to chipping with SS valves. Ron set me up with a set of intake seats that are Nickel base that were very reasonable priced. They work hardened in and move a little initially but after 5 of so hours they stopped moving. I'm now at 26 hrs on the top end and the clearences have not moved (since the initial movement). This is a motor that gets spun up pretty good trying to keep up with 450's in the vet int class...

i got my seat cut, new seats put in, new guids and everything done for $115 🙂 new head was going to be $450 here :D

haha if i had a scanner i would post the bill, no joke! i have a few inside connections though lol. :D pull the right strings and things happen. I wanted an 07 head but i didn't have any strings to pull 🙂

Well...

There is some truth to that, the seats changed in 2006 and they went to a more refined grain structure in the nodular Iron seats. This did produce a slightly lower hardness, but not so much an inconsistent one. Refining grain structure produces less voids and inclusions and provides more grain boundaries. They were trying to increase the life of the coating on the Titanium valves. They were partially successful, the 2006 and later years seem to get more life than did the 2004's and 2005's.

The issue comes when the stainless valves are introduced. The Stainless valves are harder and heavier. They tend to beat the seats to death. I haven't seen many that have chipped, only a couple infact and only early years.

Having the seats replaced runs about $ 25 to $ 100 per seat just for the seat itself depending on whether it's AMPCO 45 or Non Beryllium Copper. Labor is probably $ 50 per seat.

The minimum charge would be $ 300.00 to do all 4 seats. And we haven't even mentioned the guides yet...

A new head is $ 237.00.

Like I said...unless you are a racer (read unlimited budget) or have already shelled out big bucks on P & P, it's probably more cost effective for the average guy to just buy a new head.

I put a new 07 head on two weeks ago with SS Faction Mx intakes/springs and stock honda exhaust/springs and I'M DOOMED:bonk: to premature valve failure??:ride:🙂:D:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead::worthy:

Oh well its only money:ride:

Unless you are trying to save an expensive port and polish job or are looking for specific seat materials, it will be WAY cheaper to just buy a new head than to have the cost of the seats and the labor to install them.
Will have to work out if it is cost effective to buy a new head as they are $650 here in nz or just go with new seats etc. Importing one from states not really an option as freight will cost as much as head alone.. its along way to the arse of the world !! 🙂 Any seat material preference??

Agentsmith,

The cost of the nickel based seats were sub $5 bucks. These are not bronze based seats though. They are harder and were used with the thought that they would hold up better to the pounding of the SS valves. We only replaced the intake seats. Labor was extremely reasonable as well.

Damn!!! Someone's making a damn big profit...:D

Which valves you are going to run will determine which is the best seat material.

The harder nickel based alloys will serve you better with stainless.

The softer non-beryllium copper alloys will be better with Titanium.

Yeah tell me about it...Parts are pricey,& to top it off gas is $ 2.20 per ltr 91 & $2.25 pltr 95 oct :worthy: because our dollar is so crap!! But we do have some of the best off road riding in the world..🙂 Thanks for the info !!

That's a hellava deal!!! The AMPCO 45 seats are right around $ 20 or so.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the labor to install and cut?

Have you had the valve out since installing them? What is the condition of the valves @ hours? And condition of the seats?

I haven't had it apart since the new seats were put in. So I can't speak to that. Send me a PM about pricing.