Sign in to follow this  

mx boot's and gear?

hi all going on my first dual sport ride and my buddy say's i need to wear mx boot's. well i have a new pair i bought but i never wear them i just can't sift with them on:bonk:

any tip's on getting use to them sifting style? got my xr650 last year this is my first bike ever and have been rideing roads mostly,i'm a 40 year old newwbe:crazy:

past my road test this spring and have been rideing more dirt and love it but want to have the right gear for my old bones,what do you guy's wear when you ride? any ideas much apreciated

thank's

not sure about the xr but with my dr650 i took the shifter off and rotated it up a couple gears notches so i could fit my boot up under...

What do you mean you can't shift w/ the boots on? Is it hard to get your toe under the shifter, or is it that you can't "feel" the shifter w/ your toe? If it's because your boot doesn't fit then just rotate the shifter lever up, but if it's a "feel" issue you'll get used to it! I made the switch 2 years ago to MX boots for offroad riding and I'm glad I did, much better protection over work/hiking boots. I don't even notice anymore that you can't feel the shifter.

yeah... i didn't even think about the feel factor. you do get used to it after a while. i have mx boots i wear also. mine aren't even broken in yet though either.

mark- where in pa are ya?

My personal policy regarding protective riding gear is "wear every piece of legitimate protective gear that I can manage to buy and strap on myself". There's no amount of fun to be had on Sunday that can justify missing work on Monday.

The mx boots are initially as awkward as any piece of clothing can possibly be, but they will break in and you will become accustomed to them and the elevated level of personal safety they provide...take it from someone who got his first bike 31 years ago and has blown out both knees while riding. I celebrate the day I got Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance coverage, which paid for my matching pair of CTi2 knee braces 100%. I cannot so much as consider the possibility of riding without them, but with them, my fragile knees haven't had to endure one (more) injury from riding. I swear by them as well as the rest of my gear.

Here's an example of my Tech 8 boots saving my bacon in a way that you'd probably never imagine happening...while exploring a new set of trails in the north Georgia mountains with another rider, we were cruising a section of single track that was flanked on both sides by foot-deep ferns. I rode through a sharp left turn in the trail, about 20 feet behind my riding buddy, who had run over a huge timber rattler. Needless to say, the snake was somewhat less than pleased with being pummeled by a pair of knobbies and when I came along, he was more than happy to hit me full-force in my left shin. Thankfully, my boot absorbed the bite and even retained a souvenir...a one-inch long fang that had embedded deeply enough to remove it from the mouth of the even more pissed-off rattlesnake.

Had I been wearing hiking or work boots, I dread the thought of what the outcome might have been.

Here's an example of my Tech 8 boots saving my bacon in a way that you'd probably never imagine happening...while exploring a new set of trails in the north Georgia mountains with another rider, we were cruising a section of single track that was flanked on both sides by foot-deep ferns. I rode through a sharp left turn in the trail, about 20 feet behind my riding buddy, who had run over a huge timber rattler. Needless to say, the snake was somewhat less than pleased with being pummeled by a pair of knobbies and when I came along, he was more than happy to hit me full-force in my left shin. Thankfully, my boot absorbed the bite and even retained a souvenir...a one-inch long fang that had embedded deeply enough to remove it from the mouth of the even more pissed-off rattlesnake.

Had I been wearing hiking or work boots, I dread the thought of what the outcome might have been.

That is a cool story.🙂

I wouldn't consider riding in the dirt with out my MX boots. I wore them years ago on my quad and now that I have decided to try the dual sport thing I went out and got some immediately. I did have to move my shifter on my DRZ400S up a couple of notches.

That is a cool story.🙂

It's kinda cool now, looking back on it...but at the time, I damn near soiled myself! :D

I went through the same thing with the dualsport change. Your "pavement proof" clothing becomes useless in the dirt, and you feel a little goofy riding through town full MX gear. Well, my answer is to just look goofy. If I know the route I'm going is any gnarlier than a dirt road, or I'm going to a new place, I wear some Tech 8 MX boots, kneepads, some flashy MX pants (good airflow), 661 pressire suit, gloves, helmet. After 5min you'll forget you're even wearing it.

The boot thing: wow those things suck at first, especially if you have become used to riding in hiking/work boots. I know that right now they feel like giant casts and are all clumsy, BUT that too shall pass. I did all kinds of stuff to break mine in and get used to them and now I feel absolutely naked without them. Just wear them and remember what your shifter and brake lever do and do those things, the feeling will eventually come. Also, adjusting my shifter up to a bit above 10oclock helped simply because my toe was now bigger.

Breaking in the boots is paramount. The time it takes varies with brands. Getting them comletely soaked and then wearing them as they dry will speed the process. I wore mine around the house for a day and wore them to a couple of my first riding trips including the stops for gas and driving the truck and they broke in quickly. Prior to that shifting and breaking felt really weird. I am glad I stuck it out and kept wearing them, cause I have creamed logs and rocks with my feet and have not had major injury to my feet!

Breaking in the boots is paramount. The time it takes varies with brands. Getting them comletely soaked and then wearing them as they dry will speed the process. I wore mine around the house for a day and wore them to a couple of my first riding trips including the stops for gas and driving the truck and they broke in quickly. Prior to that shifting and breaking felt really weird. I am glad I stuck it out and kept wearing them, cause I have creamed logs and rocks with my feet and have not had major injury to my feet!

I completely agree with the importance of the break-in factor. When I bought my Tech 8's, I actually took the advice of a fellow TT'er and showered while wearing the boots. I kept the boots on for about an hour and a half after showering, then dried them by laying them on their sides with the open tops of the boots facing a 20 inch box fan...NO HEAT...they need to be dried at ambient room temperature. My first ride after this process was impressive, the difference was astounding. They conformed to the shape of my feet and became a lot more comfortable really quickly, without sacrificing the support.

Because of the inner bootie that comes with the T8's, the toe box is larger than the typical mx boot. That fact combined with the size 11 my feet require still made for cramped shifting ergo's, but that was remedied by moving the shift lever of my CRF450R up one tooth on the shaft and installing a set of the Fastway pegs in the lowered position. I now have plenty of space between the peg and the shift lever.🙂

Thanks for the post and replies. I debate the same thing when I ride my drz. FINALLY bought a full package of gear and just now went for a ride with most of it. I like how solid it all feels but it's not comfortable yet.

I wish I would of bought boots years ago when I use to ride 2 strokes and broke both my legs. I wasn't even trying to ride crazy - it just woke up and took off on me and we went for a long flight. I try to remember that when I go out for rides now and I don't plan on doing much. You never know...

When I bought my Tech 8's, I actually took the advice of a fellow TT'er and showered while wearing the boots. I kept the boots on for about an hour and a half after showering, then dried them by laying them on their sides with the open tops of the boots facing a 20 inch box fan...NO HEAT...they need to be dried at ambient room temperature. My first ride after this process was impressive, the difference was astounding. They conformed to the shape of my feet and became a lot more comfortable really quickly, without sacrificing the support.

so you showered with them on? did you just soak down the outer shell or all inside too? so i should just be able to soak them down and wear them around for a while then let them dry out huh? i still need to give mine a good break in. just got them last season and haven't wore them enough yet...

I have worn some cheap fox boots for as long as I can remember but I just bought some Gaerne sg10's and could not believe the difference they made for me, the right boot helps allot.

thanks guy's, i wen't on that ride today, and i hate to say it but i wore my work boot's,i tryed moveing my sifter and tought it would work but when i sifted out of 1 all i could get was netral:bonk:

maybe i moved it to far? i put it back and did the ride.

i'll try soaking the boots and ride with them.and move the sifter less.

wow i have no rideing off road till now it was the hardest thing i have ever done:crazy:

it was a 150mile dual sport ride and it has beeen raining like crazy up here.

i road more water then dirt, slippery and all the dirt was washed out ,nothing but boldewrs left:eek:

i went down every 10 miles for the first40 and then there was this crazy river crossing all muddy and i fit a big rock and went down had to feel around for my bike couldn't see it:eek:

we drained it out and she fired up,got in the zone after that and kept it upright the next100 miles though and i learned alot today.

my xr650l is one tough bike and it will go places i can't even stay on it:worthy:

more gear wear my boots and get used to it ,thank's guy's

sounds like they would of got broke in from all the mud and water. lol

if you have big feet you might want to get an msr extended shifter (not sifter, lol)

i moved my shifter down so I could upshift and downshift without taking my foot off the peg while riding it to work and such. but I just moved it back up so I can upshift easier with my riding boots. maybe that will make me wear my boots more for even the little rides I do.

yeah... i didn't even think about the feel factor. you do get used to it after a while. i have mx boots i wear also. mine aren't even broken in yet though either.

mark- where in pa are ya?

milk- I'm in Whitehall (above Allentown), how 'bout you?

bellwood, just outside of altoona in blair county... so yeah, about 3 hours away lol...

so you showered with them on? did you just soak down the outer shell or all inside too? so i should just be able to soak them down and wear them around for a while then let them dry out huh? i still need to give mine a good break in. just got them last season and haven't wore them enough yet...

Yep! There I was, in the shower; wearing my brand new Tech 8's! I buckled them a little loosely and let the water fill the insides. Before I stepped out of the shower, I had to lift the bottom of each foot so the boots could drain.

While I was wearing them around the house, I also made sure to put my feet and ankles in various positions (squatting, with my weight on my toes, etc.) to put the boots through a full range of motions.

This really does work, as ridiculous as it sounds. You should've seen the look on my wife's face when she returned home just in time to see me climbing out of the shower with the boots on! 🙂

Also, you need to shift by lifting your foot, you can't just shift with your big toe and ankle anymore... at least untill your boots are ready to be replaced.