Sign in to follow this  

98 KX250 shock question

I figured I would ask this question here rather than in the suspension forum because with all the hybrids I see it looks like there are quite a few trail riders here with KX models.

I have a 1998 KX250 that is used for trail riding. My riding areas are full of rocks and roots. I modified the forks last year with a Racetech gold valve kit which included removal of the mid-valve (replaced with a check valve). Forks work much better and don't beat the crap out of me in the rocks like they used to. Problem is the rear suspension is stil harsh and hops around instead of following the terrain, especially over small to medium sized rocks.

Should I re-valve the 98 shock I have or buy a later model year shock to start with? I believe my shock was re-valved by the previous owner for a more agressive trail rider (racer) and it may not have the original Kawasaki parts inside. I have a feeling it has the Racetech "Stadium" gold valve in it (same as the forks had previously) and I do not have the original valving to put back in. Any suggestions?

I have a std set of '97 KX250 forks which I did the same RT conversion as you and it made a HUGE difference in the predictability of the front end (although I ended up running much lower oil than RT recommended for intermediate enduro settings). The rear end was still harsh though and kept kicking me up the butt! I had the rear shock rebuilt and revalved for enduro spec and it TRANSFORMED the bike. So good infact that a brand new Ohlins Shock is still sitting there on the shelf!!

If it has RT gold valve in there you should still be able to change the shim stacks to achieve a more compliant ride. Definitely worth doing.

Previous owner had the "type 2" - Racetech supercross valves in the forks. I am hoping the rear shock is setup with the standard Racetech valve instead. I have not had it apart yet to check. If it is the standard valve, I can adjust the shim stack to meet my needs. If it is a type 2 valve, I will have to replace it with the standard model. Do you still have the shim stack settings from your Racetech re-valve?

Yep I have the shim stack settings for the fork. The rear shock was set up by ProRide Suspension here in NZ - They are EXCELLENT and as I said it made a HUGE difference.

I was riding hard this weekend on some very knarly roots buring in sand whoops and that rear end didn't kick me once - Soaked up everything I threw at it.

I will be swapping over to 48mm '03 - '08 Ohlin forks (ex Enduro Engineering)and new '97 Ohlin rear shock over the next few weeks. I just can't believe that they will be any better than my current set up! ... I'll post and let you know.

Thank you. Let me know how it works out. I will do the RT Gold valve on the shock and probably follow their recommendations on valving. I would be interested to see if your shim stack is close to what RT suggests in their valving charts.

For the shim stack on the front forks I followed exactly what RT recommended for intermediate rider, 6', 185lb enduro.

I don't know the shims for the rear shock, but '97 is different shock to '98 and mine is without RT valve. My suspension guy said RT valve of no real benenfit to me on the rear shock, but VERY good on the front.