funny noise when starting bike 2008 SM450R

when I start my bike, I hear what I'm pretty sure is a valvetrain clicking noise.

It goes away after 15 sec (a long time)

the oil level is fine, to the upper mark on the glass window, cold engine, bike at 90 degrees to the ground.

when I changed oil last time is when it began, I used 1.8L of oil, and actually added a bit more.

I've started it 3 times, and if it sits for a few days, it happens each time.

I've only ridden it once since it's been doing this, and it ran fine.

Any suggestions? I'm using the same oil, honda GN4 20w50 for break in, that I've used all along.

Could it be something with the way I put the filter back in? I've done it 3 times and I doubt I screwed it up.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Brand new bike?

A= new bikes make noise, they need to seat all the parts. Then you adjust them as spec.

What are the miles on it?

1st, 2nd, third, oil change?

What type of break in are you doing? Hard or easy?

Are the fiters (screens) in with the machined end first?

A= Dont think you can put them in wrong.

brand new bike

450 miles

3 oil changes

easy break in for first 200, then a little harder, etc..

what does "A=" mean?

are you telling me not to think I can't put them in wrong, or that you don't think I can but aren't sure?

Since the noise goes away, I'm guessing that oil is not getting to the head/valves immediately when I start it, but then it does.

Thanks.

It's the auto decompressor. One of my TXC450s does the same thing.

So to test if this is the problem, I should hear the same ugly noise if I pull in the decompression lever while the bike is running (of course, after it's warmed up and when it's NOT making the noise) ?

thanks,

jeff

when I start my bike, I hear what I'm pretty sure is a valvetrain clicking noise.

It goes away after 15 sec (a long time)

the oil level is fine, to the upper mark on the glass window, cold engine, bike at 90 degrees to the ground.

when I changed oil last time is when it began, I used 1.8L of oil, and actually added a bit more.

I've started it 3 times, and if it sits for a few days, it happens each time.

I've only ridden it once since it's been doing this, and it ran fine.

Any suggestions? I'm using the same oil, honda GN4 20w50 for break in, that I've used all along.

Could it be something with the way I put the filter back in? I've done it 3 times and I doubt I screwed it up.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

I personally dont think its the auto decompressor....it kicks out after the first power stroke...even if it hangs up a bit...... 15 sec is way too long

An exhaust leak near the front head pipe will make a clicking noise..and sound very simular to a valve train noise...and usually goes away after the pipe heats up and expands

Sorry Jeff, been away for a little. A= is answer to the question.

The screens have a machined side to them, I don't think they will slide in all the way. The machined shoulder goes in first and needs to seat all the way in by gently pushing in with your finger. Hope that helped. I don't think it is starving for oil. How did the screens and filter look after the first three changes? Any crud or foreign matter on them that could have clogged up a oil passage?

some tiny bits, but no noise until now.

when bike is warm it doesn't make the noise when I start it.

I've ridden it hard for short distance and and it runs great.

I think I will change oil again.

If a passage was clogged, wouldn't the noise stay there?

And is there any way to clean?

Or maybe this is why the recommended oil is 10w60 ?

It's 80 degrees here anyway, I don't think I need a light weight oil unless, the bike is specifically designed for that regardless of the temp.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, been away for a little. A= is answer to the question.

The screens have a machined side to them, I don't think they will slide in all the way. The machined shoulder goes in first and needs to seat all the way in by gently pushing in with your finger. Hope that helped. I don't think it is starving for oil. How did the screens and filter look after the first three changes? Any crud or foreign matter on them that could have clogged up a oil passage?