Sign in to follow this  

FYI pipe mod

i modified my stock exaust on my '03 xr400 by cutting the center of the tip completly out with a 2'' hole saw. it sounds i think about the same as my dad's stock '04 ktm 450 but i had the DNR at silver lake, MI do the DB test it came across at 105 DB. a lil loud for them so i'll be gettin another option but for hare scrambles i'll run it

i modified my stock exaust on my '03 xr400 by cutting the center of the tip completly out with a 2'' hole saw. it sounds i think about the same as my dad's stock '04 ktm 450 but i had the DNR at silver lake, MI do the DB test it came across at 105 DB. a lil loud for them so i'll be gettin another option but for hare scrambles i'll run it

How are exhausts meant to be tested for decibels these days? Over here in AUS i have removed the little baffle but the spark arrestor is intact and although you would think its loud it doesn't sound that bad. Any info on testing procedures? and what is the limit?

Thanks

Matt

ive got ktm450 and it blows a 94 my xr400 with a vortip blows a 92. no club is going to let you race a 105db bike. look at your local clubs web page it should outline their rules and how they test.

i did the same thing with my mine and it is way quieter than my dad's xr's only pipe and my xr's only pipe. i don't think it is even close to 105 dB personally.

i did the same thing with my mine and it is way quieter than my dad's xr's only pipe and my xr's only pipe. i don't think it is even close to 105 dB personally.

Id have to agree with Alex 400 although it is louder then the original baffle it is still super quiet compared to similar XR250,XR400,XR600 and XR650 which have an aftermarket exhaust. Unless you had it tested when it was screaming its balls off then i have no clue why yours is that loud. I think over here in AUS you gotta have it tested 30cm back from the exhaust at a 60 degree angle or something at 3500rpm. But don't ask me how you do that when my bike don't got a rpm meter lol.

Matt

thanks for the info guys. something must be out of whack. i just found out we have a DB meter at work so i'll be taking it home for a night next week 🙂