Sign in to follow this  

I got my Clear Clarke tank on!!

3.1 gallon. and incase anyone searches this in the future, it looks AWESOME. way better in person than in pictures. I'm excited to ride with it and not have to worry about how much gas i have or running out!!! fitment wasn't perfect, but not bad. the grooves they made for the shrouds didn't line up 100% but whatever. I love having a legit looking woods bike. I feel like Barry Hawk, what with the clear tank, bark busters, skid plate etc.

it's just too bad i only have one more week to ride up here in the woods before i go back down to boring flat land florida and have to wait till next summer to ride. but maybe i can get that GSXR-750 that i've been eyeing for down there

Well, since you didn't post a pic, the guys can look at my bike. Although I have the IMS 3.2 gallon, but what the hell:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=60471

i'll get pics tomorrow. good idea. i need to take pics of the moms horse trailer anyway for craigslist since she wants to sell it and can't work a digital camera to save her life. shameless plug for a horse trailer if anyone in the north east wants one

our bikes look a lot alike.

btw, harjp, what pipe guard is that? im trying to get an old moose universal one from my Kx250 to fit mine but it's not working out.

That's a Moose pipe guard. Major PITA to get fitted around the pipe. Had to use the pipe clamps to shape the guard and it takes a little while. But doable.

the clamps are that strong? i thought about that, but didn't want to snap them. i tried clamping one end flush, and then trying to hammer the other side to the pipe. no luck.

Yes, the clamps are strong enough, and the pipe guard is bendable enough, that the clamps will draw the pipe guard around and fitted to the pipe. You have to do it to every "rib" using a clamp that is not too big and not too small.

I do remember breaking one or two clamps along the way. And I tried using a propane torch and rubber mallet here and there, although that didn't do all that much.

Like I said, not the most fun thing to do, but just go at it with a lot of patience and before you know it you'll be done.

got both the Clarke and the nasty pipe guard on mine (moose brand). Gotta take some pics after I wash it from last week.🙂

The pipe guard is nice. I whacked it several times last weekend and smiled.:D

just picked that tank up for 80$ brand new still in packaging. killer deal cant wait to put it on. i found it in the clearance section at cycle gear . just lucked out

went for my first ride today with it, just a quick 20 minute jaunt. but i noticed when i get off the throttle and the bike is just standing still, the bike seems to hunt a little as the revs go down till it hits idle. as if it's slightly lean. maybe i cut the fuel line too short? it looks like it would flow fine. anyone have any ideas if this is tank related??

Well, since you didn't post a pic, the guys can look at my bike. Although I have the IMS 3.2 gallon, but what the hell:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=60471

looks very nice, man! 🙂

hmmm, now i see my bike lookin' like this baby

dscf0119su1.jpg

...and equipped with a rekluse pro-auto clutch, as suggested by shrubitup :D

100_0316.jpg

100_0317.jpg

finally got pics. the skid plate isn't on because i seem to have missed placed one of the clamps. need to find those. right after the 2nd picture, my bike fell right over. as if the flash pushed it over. darn Tusk triangle stand is such a pos. but u get what u pay for i guess. that's the stock 06 exhaust i got from a fellow TTer for like 30 bucks.

btw, i posted a question in this thread. bottom of page 1. don't want it to get burried in the thread and no one see it.

looks very nice, man! 🙂

hmmm, now i see my bike lookin' like this baby

dscf0119su1.jpg

...and equipped with a rekluse pro-auto clutch, as suggested by shrubitup :D

my pants just got tighter.

went for my first ride today with it, just a quick 20 minute jaunt. but i noticed when i get off the throttle and the bike is just standing still, the bike seems to hunt a little as the revs go down till it hits idle. as if it's slightly lean. maybe i cut the fuel line too short? it looks like it would flow fine. anyone have any ideas if this is tank related??

Hunting or surging is generally a rich condition. The higher fuel column or depth of the tank

may be causing your float to need a higher level to shut off ie. your float level may need to be checked/reset.

You might have been right on the edge of a high float level and this just made it noticeable.

If it was the line or a lean condition, you'd notice it more with the throttle open not closed.

Get your tank down to being low on fuel, and see if it still does it.

If it does, then it's something else ie. possibly a dirty needle valve on the float.

Has the temp. been warmer or riding altitude higher ie. richer mixture?

Try it in the morning when it's cool and see if it still does it.

If it does it during cooler temps and with the tank low on fuel,

I'd guess dirty float needle valve and high float level as a result.

yeah it was doing it with less than half a tank, and temps were a little cooler than earlier.

but im a little confused. if hunting/surging is a rich condition, than why does your bike do it when you run out of gas?

could it have something to do with changing my stock 03 exhaust for an 06 stock exhaust?

Usually bikes will just idle a little higher right before running out as they idle better leaner.

I've had off idle surging, 1/4 throttle surging and mid range surging and

each time the bike was rich.

You have to understand that the bike will idle normally until the float bowl is extremely low.

As soon as you'd open the throttle it would bog, but idle ok, so it's most likely not lean.

The '03 to '06 pipe shouldn't cause that.

my idle did seem really high. i forgot about that. maybe when i was squezing the carb out to do the top end i messed up the idle screw or something. i'll check tomorrow.

Alright, woods bikes just look goofy! Those tanks are monstrous. I can't imagine having your seat so curved. How do you turn?