Sign in to follow this  

hard to start when cold

Hey Guys,

i have an 08 model that is very hard to start. but after she starts, even for 1 second, it starts farily easy after that...

the biek hasnt done many hours (about 10) , anyone got suggestions?

i ussually have to kick it over too, because the electric start cant start it, needs about 10+ kicks

Cheers

baleric

check hot start cable to make sure not sticking. check valve clearances. make sure your bike is jetted properly for your area. that sounds like very low hours to be having valve problems but stranger things have happened.

I had the same issue. Replace the spark plug if you haven't. My low-hours '04 was fouling plugs after sat for a while. I'm on my third plug. I've installed a adjustable fuel screw (from Sunline) and set it to 2.5 turns out, which seems to have helped.

Your battery isn't starting the bike because it's probably dying. I killed mine by not keeping a battery tender on it. You need to keep a tender on it every 30 days or so. They don't work the same way that car batteries do. I learned this the hard way. It will eventually die completely on you. Mine won't even take a charge at all now. I'm going to have to replace it. You might be able to salvage yours if it isn't totally dead yet.

Good luck.

If you have to kick it to start thats exactly what I had to do everytime valve clearance became an issue. Not saying the valves are your problem but that's just what I've experienced.

try a different procedure,

mine works best cold starting in the warmer weather by leaving the choke off, pumping the gas 1x or 2x then just having the throttle open a tiny bit.

I had the same issue. Replace the spark plug if you haven't. My low-hours '04 was fouling plugs after sat for a while. I'm on my third plug. I've installed a adjustable fuel screw (from Sunline) and set it to 2.5 turns out, which seems to have helped.

Your battery isn't starting the bike because it's probably dying. I killed mine by not keeping a battery tender on it. You need to keep a tender on it every 30 days or so. They don't work the same way that car batteries do. I learned this the hard way. It will eventually die completely on you. Mine won't even take a charge at all now. I'm going to have to replace it. You might be able to salvage yours if it isn't totally dead yet.

Good luck.

My X is an 04 and I have never had a battery tender or battery charger on it. Still on the origional battery. I have had it die on me before mainly because I forgot to turn off my hardwired gps and it killed the battery. But normaly just go out and hit the button and it works just fine. The few times I did kill the battery I just kickstarted it and rode and it would charge the battery as I rode. Even after having it sit around for a month or more in the winter, pull it out in the spring and hit the button. It is usualy low but it fires up.

My X is an 04 and I have never had a battery tender or battery charger on it. Still on the origional battery. I have had it die on me before mainly because I forgot to turn off my hardwired gps and it killed the battery. But normaly just go out and hit the button and it works just fine. The few times I did kill the battery I just kickstarted it and rode and it would charge the battery as I rode. Even after having it sit around for a month or more in the winter, pull it out in the spring and hit the button. It is usualy low but it fires up.

I rode my bike 4 times in 4 years. After 2 years of the bike sitting, not being ridden, without the bike being charged, the battery died...and is dead...and won't take a charge at all. I've had numerous people, including the local Honda shop verify this. They even tested my battery charger. Batteries can die beyond the charge just going low.

Well yea that will do it. I think I have rode my bike 4x in the last week. That is probably why mine is still going and yours is doa. In your case a battery tender is the answer. For me I just ride more...keeps the battery charged just fine.

does anyone think it would be valve issues?, if it is valve issues i am going to kill the fkn dealer that sold me this thing, $11,500 worth of motorbike and now the thing need money spent on it....

Yes it could be the valves....I dont think that is what it is though. You could check your clearances and verify it though...It is really easy to do. You should probably check your clearance anyway just so you know what they are at so you can judge valve wear as the engine ages. One thing you can try that seems to work for me, while cranking the engine with the E start press the engine kill for a second then release....I have intermitant no start and that started it right away.

There are so many variables that could affect it. As others have said it could be valves but with only 10 hours on I seriousely doubt it. It might be worth checking them. Its really not hard and something you should learn to do if your going own a 4-stroke.

Is the bike still 100% stock? What elevation you live at? If your at higher elavation your jetting could be way off. Stock they are very lean which will lead to hard starting.

Are you giving the throttle 2-3 twists before you try starting it. If you didn't know these bikes have an accelerator pump in the carb that will squirt gas into the motor when the throttle is twisted. 2-3 twists on startup is the norm. Any more and you could flood the motor.

What does your plug look like? Is it black. white, or brown? White is way lean, black is rich. Brown is what you want to shoot for.

If its lean a bigger pilot jet usualy helps the startup issues.

We need more info to diagnose your problem. Does your bike have the emmisions crap that the california models here do? that could be causing issues.

You need to learn how to check the valves any way. All four strokes should have the valves checked after brake in. Do you have stock jetting? What altitude are you riding at? Any mods?

hey guys,

i have no mods, and im not sure my altitude, i printed up the valve checking guide on this website and made it into a book, so i will check them on the weekend when i have time, i will also check my spark plug and post a photo because im not sure how to read the plug,

the reason i haven't checked the valves previously is because the bike 'was' under warranty, but now that has gone,

is there anything i should look out for when i check the valves? or any certain tools i need?

hey guys,

i have no mods, and im not sure my altitude, i printed up the valve checking guide on this website and made it into a book, so i will check them on the weekend when i have time, i will also check my spark plug and post a photo because im not sure how to read the plug,

the reason i haven't checked the valves previously is because the bike 'was' under warranty, but now that has gone,

is there anything i should look out for when i check the valves? or any certain tools i need?

Feeler guages, allen wrench to remove the timing plugs in the RH case side. Metric sockets to remove the seat, gas tank, and valve cover. Mainly your looking at the intake valves. The exhaust rarely move. But seeing as your getting the bike broke in its possible that they all have settled in a little and need adjustment.

If you actually need to adjust the valves well thats another animal. The manual describes that pretty well.

Chances are though that your valves are fine. Im betting on jetting. If your at or near sea leval say 1000ft and below the jetting should be close but ya may want to try a bigger pilot jet to see if that helps your starting.

am i able to adjust the valves or do i need to buy parts to do that ?

--- also i just found my altitude online, its 370ft

Feeler guages, allen wrench to remove the timing plugs in the RH case side. Metric sockets to remove the seat, gas tank, and valve cover. Mainly your looking at the intake valves. The exhaust rarely move. But seeing as your getting the bike broke in its possible that they all have settled in a little and need adjustment.

If you actually need to adjust the valves well thats another animal. The manual describes that pretty well.

Chances are though that your valves are fine. Im betting on jetting. If your at or near sea leval say 1000ft and below the jetting should be close but ya may want to try a bigger pilot jet to see if that helps your starting.

Also a torque wrench would be reccomended.

To adjust any valves you would need the correct shim size. Once you determine the size needed you can buy the individual ones you need for around $5 or the shim kit wiyh three of each size for $90.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2007/default.asp?p=402&s=2

am i able to adjust the valves or do i need to buy parts to do that ?

--- also i just found my altitude online, its 370ft

Your jetting shouldnt be that far off at that altitude. Not enough that it would cause hard starting.

You really shouldn't have to adjust the valves. All you are really going to be doing is checking that they are in spec (which they probably will be) that will eliminate one variable from your hard starting puzzle.

If you do need to shim your valves you will need a torque wrench. And the correct shims. But you wont know what shims you will need till you get the cam out and figure out what shim is in there and do the math to figure out what shim you need. Its in the manual how to figure out what shim thickness you need.

Kick it when cold or your battery will die if you aren't careul (i've done that) Use the choke for recomended time and just let her warm up before you crack the throttle open

Have an 07 with 800ks valves have been adjusted 3 times, 1st 2 times by the dealer, this last time did it myself. Always the same symptoms hard to start all the time, won't idle. Battery is also dead but this is because its not ridden every week, if your not riding it every other day get one of the special battery chargers for the purpose and leave it on all the time. I have also found that if the bike sits for a few weeks the fuel in the bowl goes stale and its either hard to start or won't run right till it clears, usually drain the float bowl before trying to start it now.

I got a trickle charger from honda when i bought the bike, it was in the spares kit,

i am definitely going to check my valves this weekend, i have dreaded doing this because of the money it will cost to fix... unless i do it myself of course (not likely)

thanks for the hlp guys, ill post how it goes