Sign in to follow this  

do you drain the coolant for storage??

when u go to store a bike for long periods of time, i know you should drain the gas from the tank and float bowl, plus the oil in the transmission. should you also drain the coolant???

No. It contains corrosion inhibitors and keeps the hoses from drying out inside.

+1 leave the coolant but drain the gas and before you do run some fuel stabilizer through your bike first if you don't do so already. Get some fogger. I use the OMC outboard fogger available at Roadside, follow directions on bottle. I store my bikes in my basement but usually drain my oil, then fill the entire case with fresh oil thus eliminating the possiblity of any moisture. BTW where are you in VT?

We have some very cool off seasons here in Utah. Honestly, about six months of the year the bike has to be parked. I always change the antifreeze and let it sit with fresh clean stuff inside the system. As far as the fuel system goes I have done it several ways.

The first was leaving everything dry. This did nto work very well as the carb seat went bad as did an o ring in the fuel petcock. No big deal, but I did not want that to happen again. The second was using a product called Stabil and it worked as advertised. Oddly enough the bike started in one kick after sitting for 4 months. Good stuff. last year I did nothing after noticing how well my lawnmower did in storage with a tank of premix in it.....My thought was the oil was helping the system stay ok. This may be totally full of crap.......

'

is it okay to leave coolant in that is mixed with water wetter???

yo frankie, i'm in derby vermont. right on the canadian border. i used to live in Danbury tho. still have all my family down there

All mx coolant in a radiator is a 50/50 mix with water, I usually change mine at the end of the season for storage so I'm ready to go for next year. BTW I live in Williston, VT but have never changed my CT tag on the forum. Do you race up there at all?

how do you change the coolant is there a special trick to it or do u just drain it from the pump cover and poor in fresh coolant?

should be a 8mm or 10mm drain plug with a little washer behind the bolt head most likely below your pump. pull that out.

Before you put brand new fresh coolant in, take the time to flush the system with distilled water. Helps get any remaining old coolant and any dirt or gunk out.

k thats what i was thinking but i wanted a second opinion thanks

do u know off hand how much they hold?

+1 Dmoney

-just buy some 50/50 premix from the autoparts store and after you've drained and flushed it. Screw the drain bolt back in, take the radiator capp off and fill until it comes to the neck and all the coils are covered. Any extra will piss out once you start it.