Sign in to follow this  

New here, 2001 xr650r!! gears, lights, jets and tires

i just bought an used xr650R locally. it seems to be a fun torque monster and i love it. however i have a few questions. you guys seem to be knowledgeable sp?. as for mods...

the bike has a offroad, non stock tip, a kn filter and i assume has been jetted. other than that the previous owner is convinced the bike is stock.. i'm not exactly sure though. the only thing that worries me is the fact that i have a gasket tab sticking out of the head seal. it looks like an aftermarket (cometic??) gasket tab so i'm worried that it has been apart. not sure.. any help.

the bike runs well, no real valve noise to speak of, had amsoil all its life, and runs well. and starts great.... cold...

the bike is a bitch to start when hot. i'm new to this bike, and the kickstart t hing... i race quads... we dont have too many kickers left..

i know i can bump the pilot up to maybe help hot starting but i'm wearing myself, and my boots out trying to get this thing to fire... any thing that i'm not awear of or what..

i'm looking to make this bike street legal but will be using it in the dirt as much as i can but i want to find a good mix of tires...

i know it has a headlight but i need it to have a high/low beam. not reallly used to having a light on the bike.. what can i do besides buying an overpriced kit to make it a high low beam light.. is there anything..

along with that the bike has aftermarket gearing selection.. not sure what, sry.. i havent counted. the bike seems to get to 80 quick and then creep to 85... i'm a bigger guy 6.3 250 lbs... what gears to you recomend for being able to cruse, safely and comfortably at 70 mph...

sry guys i'm a newb with this bike but i hope you can help.. all i can say now is that this is a fun bike with a lot of power.. and torque where it counts..

sorry for such a long first post.. thanks!

Welcome MY son to the wonderful world of BRP's (big Red Pigs) I would not worry about the gasket too much and there are lost and lots of mods that might be already done on you bike so check out this site http://www.xr650r.us/

the street legal kit in your local area is very different from Arizona ,all we have to do is have a headlight,tail/brake light, mirror and horn so it is very easy to street legal bikes in Az

On My commuter XR650 on street in AZ with very few hills I run a 15 tooth in the front and a 45 tooth in the rear ,my trail XR 650 I run 15-47 , the power up exhaust tip seems to be the best bang for your buck, I run a set of Maxxis M6006 50/50 tire that I'm very pleased both on and off road on both bikes

and lastly starting is more about Technique rather than just brute force kicking until it starts so good luck

Kicking a pig is more about kicking all the way thru the stroke than

applying brute force. Mine seems to only fire at the very bottom

of the stroke even tho its a 1 or 2 kick relatively easy starter.

It takes a while to get used to pushing all the way thru.

Sounds like you can use a little carb fine tuning also as it should be

easier to start when hot.

Good luck

Tony