Sign in to follow this  

My 1st top end

Just did a top end on my 03 YZ250, my first. I also put in VF3 reeds. I must say I am very glad to have the first one under my belt. The bottom end seemed to be in great shape, the piston and rings didn't look all that bad, and the cyl. looked brand new inside after cleaning. Have went through two heat cycles, letting it cool right now. Is it normal for the exhaust to have a noticeable higher pitch and pop to it?

Yes, that is normal. Usually you get that really nice, clean crisp 2 stroke sound in the pipe due to having good compression again. You will feel the power difference on your next ride! Congrats on your first rebuild, now you can do it every 10 hours like the pro's 🙂. I love a new top end, but usually only do mine every 60-75 hours...

You will feel the power difference on your next ride!

I am also going from a 50 rear to a 51.

I am also going from a 50 rear to a 51.

Hang on tight a dont loop it 🙂... Congratulations on doing your first one, Did you use a manual or did you have someone helping you out?

Congrats, Its a great feeling to rip it apart and put it back together and have it run. How are those vforce reeds? I ride mostly ride woods, and heard that it makes the bike a little more hard to control. Any one?

Congrats, Its a great feeling to rip it apart and put it back together and have it run. How are those vforce reeds? I ride mostly ride woods, and heard that it makes the bike a little more hard to control. Any one?

Yeah it started second crank and ran like a champ. Don't know about the reeds, I just thought they were probably in need of a change and I had a little extra cash, so I got them. It is hard to say how much of a difference they make with the fresh top end and adding a tooth on the rear at the same time. But it seems I have awaken a beast...🙂

Just took her out on the trails and really opened her up, WOW! I thought I could rail those trails before :worthy: now I can completely shred the lap times iI had set before on my little hairscramble circuit that I am working on. My God how she comes out of the turns :ride::D🙂:banghead: