Sign in to follow this  

sl100 with oil in ignition. Need advice

Guys (& Gals),

My wonderful little SL100 has oil in the points and magneto. Poured out all over when I opened the points cover. Is this a for sure crack in the case or is there something else that could be responsible. I was fixing to put it back on the road because of gas prices. I was riding it at normal speeds when it sputtered and spit so I just putted back home. I know it's ancient (71) but somebody out there must have some idea of what I am going to have to do.

Thanks for putting out a great web site.

jd

I 've seen many bikes show oil under cover maybe not as much as you seem to say.

Maybe she was over full of oil . or sitting on its side alittle

If you haven't run her in a while I'd bet it's a carb issue.

I'm glad to get such a quick response. With the kickstand as short as it is it does lay over on it's side, and it sat for awhile over the winter to. Maybe the problem is not as bad as I feared. I'll sleep a little better tonight.

Thanks

jd

Guys (& Gals),

My wonderful little SL100 has oil in the points and magneto. Poured out all over when I opened the points cover. Is this a for sure crack in the case or is there something else that could be responsible. I was fixing to put it back on the road because of gas prices. I was riding it at normal speeds when it sputtered and spit so I just putted back home. I know it's ancient (71) but somebody out there must have some idea of what I am going to have to do.

Thanks for putting out a great web site.

jd

The points are located under a small cover on the head and driven off the cam shaft.

The Magneto is down on the engine case and does run in oil.

Dwight 🙂

Thanks Dwight,

I found out the hard way today while I was working on it. I'm an old 2 stroke rider from the 70's and don't have a lot of experience with the thumpers. jd

If you have oil in your points you probably have a bad camshaft seal. The seal is located in the housing that supports your point plate and is not a hard fix. You will have to remove the points plate and the point cam and advance unit. The seal will be easily visable then. The generator, as Dwight said is down on the left side crankshaft and normally runs in oil.

wayne