Sign in to follow this  

Premix, changing Ratios! Help!

I just bought a 2006 RM 250 ( I am loving it ), I have no idea what the premix ratio was. The bike is running perfect on the gas that was in the bike. I mixed up some 36:1 with Maxima super M premix. I figured that the existing gas was either 32:1 or 40:1. I am not sure. I am worried that if the gas was jet with a premix that was set to 32:1 that it will be running to lean? or rich? will 36:1 be a significant change in engine wear? The bike seems to be running well on the 36:1 gas, what are some warning signs I should look for? I don't want to blow it up, I just got it!🙂

Thanks for your help,

Ken

Lean and rich has to do with jetting not with oil in the gas. No need to change jetting when changing ratios. (within reason) 36:1 your fine.

With 36:1 you should be ok like Ebeck said, but I am a stickler for the factory specs. 32:1 is your ideal ratio especially if you are racing/riding MX and or desert riding. If you are running tight woods a leaner mixture would be fine as well. You chose a good premix oil as well.

The bikes make more power with more oil. The rings seal better. Ever hear ring ding ding ding 2 strokes? yeah, not enough oil, no ring seal. Mine goes Bwaaaaaaahhhhh where the aaaaaa sounds like the word "awe" jusst aaaaaaawwwe.

I agree with the factory spec thing too. I run 28:1 actually where the factory spec is 30:1. Oil lubes the bearong surfaces, seal rings, lubes culiner and removes heat.

Use 32:1 if you ride it hard or do MX. Off road where your lugging it 36/40:1 is OK.

I ride hard! =) going to the track early tomorrow! lost a seat bolt today! don't know what I am going to do to hold that mofo down at the track! I wonder what time home depot opens.