Sign in to follow this  

Chevy Express cargo van with 4.8, what gas mileage?

I currently use a 2000 Chevy 3500 extended with a 5.7L. I'm thinking about getting a new van. Ideally a 2500 extended and I'm looking at the 4.8L engine. The EPA doesn't rate this motor for gas mileage. Anyone have a full size Chevy van with this motor? What kind of gas mileage are you getting on the highway? How about in town?

Thanks!

I don't have any real world experience with these vans, but I noticed on the GMC website that the 1500 model with the 5.3 is rated at 12/16. I would guess that a 2500 with the 4.8 would be close to these numbers. It looks like the 1500 is offered with the 4.3 & 5.3 while the 2500 gets the 4.8, 6.0 & 6.6 Duramax Diesel:thumbsup: . I would think that a 4.8 in a 3/4 ton van would be a little underpowered when loaded. I would also look closely at the 6.0. I know they can be thirsty but you may also be surprised at how much fuel a smaller engine will used when it is under a heavy load.

I'm sure there are others out there with first hand experience that can help out. I just think that in some cases the smaller motor is not always the best choice for power & economy.

Thanks for the input. It's weird that the 5.3 isn't available in the 2500. You either get a 4.8 or have to jump all the way to the 6.0. Interestingly enough, the 4.8 makes more hp than the older 5.7/350 but a little less torque. I'm sure the vast majority of the newer cargos being used commercially would be using the smaller (cheaper) engine. I've driven a 2500 with a 4.8 (unloaded and not broken in) and it seemed to accelerate as good or better as my 5.7 but maybe a little busier cruising at 75-80.

The best I have ever gotten with my 6.0 in my 2004 2500HD crew cab was 15mpg. This was a road trip from norcal to spokane wa. It's a 4wd with 4.10 rear end. I am sure that motor would get similar mileage(+-2mpg)in any vehicle. We have a couple of 2500 vans at work with the 6.0. I would have to ask the maint guys what mpg they are getting.

My work van is a 05 4.8 3:73 2500 cargo van with 1000 lbs of tools. 14 in the city with the Air on. Old van 1996.5 5.0 3:73 2500 but 6 lugs and weak trans and brakes every 20k miles. I know the 4.8 gets better milage and the newer 2500 van is really a 3/4 ton chassis as the previous body style was not.:D🙂