Sign in to follow this  

any1 no how to fix the valves

my valves r out of spec n i was wonderin if ne1 knew how to fix it without takin it to the shop?🙂

my valves r out of spec n i was wonderin if ne1 knew how to fix it without takin it to the shop?🙂

Shim them... Assuming they still can be shimmed.

how do i do that exactly...im all new to this stuff lol:bonk:

I don't know how to explain this. But best advice I can give you is look through your workshop manual, or there should be an article somewhere on this forum on how to shim valves.

What year bike? If it is a 04-06 you can do a search on this forum and download the manual. Should give you plenty of information.

i got my shims n put em all in an put everything back 2getha...but now my kickstarter jams sumtimes n then works but it feels as tho it has no compression???? wat would cause that? could sumthin be in wrong or too tight??? :worthy:🙂:ride::D

i got my shims n put em all in an put everything back 2getha...but now my kickstarter jams sumtimes n then works but it feels as tho it has no compression???? wat would cause that? could sumthin be in wrong or too tight??? :worthy:🙂:ride::D

Here's the deal, you're going to shim them to spec and then they're going to move again in a matter of a few hours, shimming is a temporary band-aid fix, the only way to correctly fix the issue is to buy a set of new valves, have the seats cut to match the valves perfectly and then reassemble the head (Do not lap in the ti valves), be sure to have the valve guides checked before you have the seats cut, worn valve guides will cause the valves to close up prematurely also.

Couple things. First, the torque spec's for the cam-shaft caps in the 2004 manual are WRONG. From memory, I think they call out 102-in/lbs when it should be 84 (or something close to that, look it up to be sure).

Second, did you verify your clearances when you were done? Verify the timing and orientation of the cams in relation to the crank? It's all in the manual....line up the timing mark in the inspection hole, line up the dots on the camshaft gears and COUNT THE LINKS of the timing chain between the cam shaft gear upper "dots". The manual shows how to do this.

If all that is correct, one other thing I can think of is that the exhaust cam is installed incorrectly and the auto-decomp mechanism is missing the bucket that it's supposed to engage. If the cam is installed to the left a bit (looking down on the head), it CAN be bolted down and the little nub will miss the bucket. Hard to do, yes, but I've seen that happen once (no, I didn't do it, but I found it). When the auto-decomp doesn't work, the compression is so high that it might FEEL like the kick starter is jamming. But that wouldn't explain why it feels like no compression. I think there was a problem with one of the gears somewhere in the kickstart assembly, but I don't have specifics.

Sounds like you need to open it back up, double check your valve clearances and really inspect all the associated parts for correct installation, timing, etc.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

i got my mates dad to look at it n the timing were way off they must of moved when i put it back....it started again finally but we found out that there was a fair bit of oil in the magneto 🙂 sumthin must be leakin...we drained the oil out a fair bit so we'll see hopefully 2day if its all good:ride:

I checked the valves on my 06 today (getting hard to start) and noticed when the timing marks are lined up on the crank the dots on the gears don't line up with the head case surface, ex sits about 5mm (0.195") above lip and int sits below, so the top dots don't sit at 12 o'clock, if i line them up then i can't see marks on crank, was told bike had hot cams, is the timming chain stretched, or has someone just not lined cams up properly, should they be spot on, looks to be about one tooth out, should i line dots up with crank when i reassemble, cheers

watch out my bike (2004)did the same thing after i adjust my valve it wont start and feel like no compression will only start by push start and after one day of riding it seized up and now i have to spend ton of $ on that thing

now i will get it to a good mechanic to do those jobs

good luck with yours

i ended up taking it to the shop so hopefully it will be all good...i was told that i was lucky i didnt seize the engine...but they said it probbly wasnt the valves so we'll see once i get it back:ride:

haha what i just says lol lucky i wish i would have take mine to that mecanic

👍 my bike is ready 2 ride again :worthy: the camshaft chain was stuffed so i got a new 1 put on n they found bits of metal in the engine sumwhere...weird but the bad news is im gonna have to sell her now coz i cant afford to keep it no more..so shattered...but im gonna save for a new one might try sumthin different next time maybe kxf or yzf:ride: