decision time, tires

so im finally ready to buy some tires for my supermoto, ive come down to either michelin anakee, avon presa supermoto, or pirelli scorpion sync. i like the scorpion for its more street looking orientation, and anakee for its all around performance, and the presa for obvious reasons but in concerned it would wear out too soon. anybody out there with opinions on these tires and their availability id appreciate it, oh theyre going on an old husky 4 stroke looking for 120/70/17 front and 150 or 140 17 rear

damnit why does everybody hate my post. i didnt think i sounded that stupid

I don't hate your posts neo42o544 (loved the movies btw). But my personal opinion is that you should go with Contiforce SM tires if you're looking for tires that are good for all around Sumo riding (mostly street, some dirt, some track days). ?

I run the Avon Azaro rain on the front and the Scorpion Sync 160-60 on the rear. I like that combo a lot. I ride a lot of county canyon roads that are just cut into the sides of hills so there is always grit in the corners. On these roads something with more grooving than the standard sport bike tires seems to work better for me.

Tony

Tire technology and availability has come so far since 1999, why run those crappy dual sport tires? You can get a number of tires in a 150, and even the Dunlops that come in the DRZ400SM in a 140.

Also, sportbike rubber is awesome on SM's, there is no need for a rain tire unless you have deep pockets and like trail of bread crumbs from the tire disintegrating and actually LOSING grip and life from heat cycling.

The more tread blocks, the worse handling a tire is. It has more flex in the casing, more movement on the tread blocks, it has less contact patch and while is sheds water, unless you are dual sporting the bike, any modern sport bike tire (pirelli SuperCorsa Evo front) will outhandle the Sync or the Anakee and all similar tires. The Sync was developed for the 450lb. Ducati Multistrada... it's now 4 generations old in terms of Pirelli tire technology.

Anyhow, I am big on SM, I wouldn't touch the Anakee if there are street tires that will fit your rims. The weight savings alone is huge as far as handling goes... the Anakees were developed for big Euro dual sports... think BMW GS.

http://www.motostrano.com/dud2suti.html is a good place to start.

well after that post im starting to reconsider my options, damn this is hard. maybe i shouldent try to get the best of both worlds on 17's and just get some legal knobs too when i want to get dirty and some sticky road tires for the street

I've run Avon race slicks, Dunlop race slicks, Avon Gripsters, Michelin Pilot powers, and Conti Sumos. For race absolutely the Dunlops, for general purpose (mostly road) the conti sumos have the right profile to fit a supermoto and are almost as grippy as the pilot powers. I like em lots

The pilots don't work well in colder conditions. I live about an hour west of Toronto and like to ride into December. Diablo's work really well. Very sticky in the dry but not as good as some in the wet. I've gone through two sets of the Sportec M3's. They are the dogs ballocks! Wet and dry. Holy schnikies, these things stick. I want to try a set of the bridgestone BT016's. Triple compound rear! Cooool!