Sign in to follow this  

ktm reliability/operating costs

i've been trying to locate a good used xr650l or dr650 for some time now. can't find any dr's and the xr sellers are impossible to get a hold of. all i can find are 2 klr's which i don't think i really want. i know next to nothing about ktm's except they are supposed to be bad ass. along with my personal assumption that european stuff is unreliable and expensive to fix. anyways lo and behold a 2001 640 lc4 dual sport w/ 2500 miles goes up for sale in my neighborhood asking $3200. what do i need to know about this bike? are they expensive to maintain/fix?

thanks ahead. oh yeah 1st post 🙂

I personally, have never owned a bike of any color that was unreliable, and I have owned many. What I trying to say here 90% of the times it's the owner that is the problem not the bike.

i've been trying to locate a good used xr650l or dr650 for some time now. can't find any dr's and the xr sellers are impossible to get a hold of. all i can find are 2 klr's which i don't think i really want. i know next to nothing about ktm's except they are supposed to be bad ass. along with my personal assumption that european stuff is unreliable and expensive to fix. anyways lo and behold a 2001 640 lc4 dual sport w/ 2500 miles goes up for sale in my neighborhood asking $3200. what do i need to know about this bike? are they expensive to maintain/fix?

thanks ahead. oh yeah 1st post 🙂

LC4 oil chance procedure is more complex/timeconsuming than with the XR/DR. Both are aircooled also so comparing apples/oranges here. Mainshaft bearing on the pre 2003 LC4s is prone to failure (redesigned in 2003). People replace this.

As far as reliability of the motor. I'd say the DR/XR is probably more durable but a well cared for LC4 will do well. Getting more performance and that rately come for free.