Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400 - how good are they?

I haven't ridden dirt for 10 years.

My last dirt bike was a TT350 yam, 1991.

I have since ridden road bikes with 80 Hp+. Currently on SV650N.

I am about to buy a dirt bike again, and the DRZ400E is at the top of my list.

I ride trails, and orienteer through mountains. I don't try to break land speed records (or my neck) and like to adventure ride more than anything. I will never race the bike competively or "compete" in anything. I love my mountain climbs and my river crossing, and here is South East Australia we have a fair share of bog holes. I do plenty of K's on a day's ride, so i want something comfortable, with plenty of easy power.

How good is the DRZ400E? How does it compare to the likes of KTM and Yam. Honda no longer have the XR400 or that would have been my first choice. They only have the motard, which IMO is not suited for bush.

If anyone who has owned similar bikes and also has the DRZ it would be really helpful to hear your opinions.

thanks in advance

Hi. Buy one and find out. 🙂

Sounds a good choice for the riding you describe you want to do.

The DRZ is a workhorse. Very reliable, requires minimal major maintenance when compared to similar bikes.

It is not the lightest. But often light weight comes at a cost of durability.

Not the most powerful, but again, this is why they run for as long as they do. But there is plenty to get the job done.

None of the bikes are comfortable for a day long ride. For that, you need something like a BMW GS (which is about as powerful as the DRZ and significantly heavier).

The DRZ, being as popular as it is, has a huge aftermarket support. There are time tested modifications you can do to the engine to nearly double the power at minimal expense to reliability. The DRZ is sort of the 'Land Rover' of off road bikes, where as a KTM is more like a Porsche Cayenne.

thanks William, your assessment/comparison makes a lot of sense to me.

what is the suspension on the DRZ like... apart from setting it up, will on need to spend thousands on rear shock with reboubnd/dampening adjustment and emulators for the front? or is the stock setup, reasonable?

The stock shock is adjustable for spring pre-load, compression and rebound. And it has a high speed and low speed compression adjustment. My thoughts are that it is more than "reasonable", but as with anything, improvements can be made, and they have a price!! I'd recommend the DRZ for the riding that you describe. Great bike. I've had a nice handful of toys in my 37 years, and the DRZ is hands down the most fun.

Eric

I've got an Aussie DRZ e model, and you won't be disappointed. I use mine for street and Enduro's and the power from the 400 e is way under appreciated. I actually took a WR 450 for a spin before hand, was put off with the short clutch throw and the heat coming from it, also can't put my finger on it, but the torque to me wasn't to my liking...

I wasn't even considering the DRZ, but mechanic friend suggested to have a go, and I did.... I also bought it straight after, reminds me of my XR 400, but with more power!...

Of course I put up-side down forks on it, mostly for cosmetic reasons, but seeing a lot of pics from this forum, I'd just remove the boots from the standard forks, and put small seal savers on them, looks trick!...

Oh, and you can't beat the price, check if they are also doing cash back offers on new models... Recently there were good ones on e-bay, I wouldn't be too concern with the motor, it's pretty solid, and if it is a bit tired, for some $$ (and not too much) you can turn it into a beast!

The DRZ is sort of the 'Land Cruiser' of off road bikes, where as a KTM is more like a Porsche Cayenne.

Fixed it for ya, William!

cwoncruiser.jpg