Sign in to follow this  

XR250 to CR125?

I do mainly trail riding on my XR250, and I feel I need some more snap, I really don't want to upgrade my XR because I don't think it'd be worth it, and I think I'd be better off just getting a new bike. 🙂 For my next bike I've been thinking of a CRF250X or WRF250, but I think I want something really light and nimble for the trails. :D

I barely have any experience on a 2 stroke, except for my JR50 when I was 5 years old. :worthy: I've heard some people say that they're much more fun in the trails than 4 strokes, but may require more maintenance and you need to keep the engine roastin'. I usually ride doubletrack trails, some smooth/some rooty singletrack, some steep but short hillclimbs, some rocky, long but not very steep hills.

So, whaddaya think? Should I stick to 4 strokes or should I try something new? :ride:

if you wanna stick with 4 strokes get a yz250f or crf250r there lighter then the wr250f and crf250x

the cr125 would be good aswell or a yz125

the cr125 for sure it will kill a xr250, gud powerband they have. If you dont like 2 strokes get a crf250r,crf450r,yz250f,yz450f there mad bikes good 2 stroke 125s are Cr125,yz125,rm125

The 125's have more RESPONSE but that doesn't mean they are faster. They are only fast in around 3/4 to full throttle.

I've ridden a WR250f once and I currently have a YZ125. A performance 250f like a WR or CRF will pull you like a tractor all the way off idle. They pull about 3 times longer than a 125.

From what I've read they also get more traction therefore putting more power to the ground and will be faster.

If you think that your XR is going to be similar to a performance 250f, then that's like saying a TTR125 is as fast as an 80. In other words, it's going to be worlds apart. Regardless of what you read here, make sure to look at and ride several different types of bikes.

Thanks boys, I pretty much have my mind set on a WR250F or a CR250, but I'm not too sure if I could handle the CR, since the XR has been my first bike in about 10 years. :D

Do you guys think I'd be able to handle a CR250? I'm 5'10, and about 165 pounds. I've got a good amount of muscle so I'm not really weak, if that matters at all, or is it just experience do you think? 🙂

i had a 07 yz250f, and bought a 03 yz250 just to try something different and easy to work on. i found that i cant handle all that power. its fine on open stuff but anything tight and twisty i'll stick with a 250f.

I love my YZ250. And I'm trying to share the joy with everyone else.

Some poeple find they can't handle a 250 in the tight trails ad some can. You just have to ride a few bikes and see what you like and what you don't. Don't make a knee jerk decision you could end up regretting.

I think a YZ250 would be a bit powerful for me, doesn't the CR have less power than the YZ? :D

I don't think I'll be getting a 125 anymore, I'm worried about the lack of low end. So now I'm thinking CR250. 🙂

I think a YZ250 would be a bit powerful for me, doesn't the CR have less power than the YZ? :D

I don't think I'll be getting a 125 anymore, I'm worried about the lack of low end. So now I'm thinking CR250. 🙂

The YZ has a more linear powerband and more low end grunt than a CR250. Peak HP numbers will be very close, but the YZ250 is easier to ride and is much better for trails. The CR250's from 02 up have crappy bottom end, a vicious midrange, and not the greatest peak power. They are also a biatch to jet properly. YZ's from 02 and up have the new style engine and if you get above '05's you will get an aluminum frame and better suspension.

So, our lesson today is: If you are getting a 250 2 smoke, get the YZ. Oh, and if you get one, you will learn good throttle control very fast :banghead::ride: or you will end up with a sore arse :worthy:

What the J-Rod said is true concerning the YZ and CR 250s.🙂

I think you want more power, snap, modern suspension, great handling, ease of maintenance, etc. - right?

what about your old post here?

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664044

Since we don't know your weight or height yet I am hesitant to recommend a 250F unless it's a Husqvarna TE250. I've ridden a CRF250X and WR450F - both fully uncorked and they felt like d-o-g-s to me. Of course, I'm fat (250 lbs. and 6'2" tall) so I need a powerful bike to pull me around on. I also rode a 07 YZ250F and it felt better than the CRF-X power wise but nothing like that Husky 250F.

I'd say if you're near 200 lbs forget about the 250F unless it's a Husky.

What the J-Rod said is true concerning the YZ and CR 250s.🙂

False:busted: i have owned them both and a 05 cr250 and newer is NOT a crappy bike with no bottom end and they are very simple to jd jet...but i get tired of defending them...and besides that,i'm here to make freinds not argue everytime this same old story pops up.I will take an 05 and up cr250 over a yz250 all day long whether money is a issue or not.To each his own and you will never hear me slam another 250cc bike...they are all good and i have seen a KX...RM...YZ AND CR with the right rider look like rocketships.The fastest 2 stroke i ever witnessed on lap times was a 05 kx250 with a great rider on it and i bet most of you would turn away from a kx250.I do not think there are very few riders on here including me...that could ride any of them to their full potential...sorry guys...i'll go take my bloodpressure pill and chill:thumbsup:

False:busted: i have owned them both and a 05 cr250 and newer is NOT a crappy bike with no bottom end and they are very simple to jd jet...but i get tired of defending them...and besides that,i'm here to make freinds not argue everytime this same old story pops up.I will take an 05 and up cr250 over a yz250 all day long whether money is a issue or not.To each his own and you will never hear me slam another 250cc bike...they are all good and i have seen a KX...RM...YZ AND CR with the right rider look like rocketships.The fastest 2 stroke i ever witnessed on lap times was a 05 kx250 with a great rider on it and i bet most of you would turn away from a kx250.I do not think there are very few riders on here including me...that could ride any of them to their full potential...sorry guys...i'll go take my bloodpressure pill and chill:thumbsup:

Well, it appears that I slammed the CR. The CRs can be made to work out great if you make the changes to them. There is NO way anybody here could ride one to their fullest potential.

I've never owned a CR so WTFDIK.:worthy::ride:

IDK, in my opinion saying that each and every bike are all good is like saying all full size pickups are all good too. Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra, Chev Silverado, Ford F150, Dodge Ram, - they're all the same.🙂 When I bought my Nissan last year I test drove them all. For the ride comfort and price I got the Nissan.:D

Granted, modding a CR into the bike you want is way cheaper than modding a pickup into the rig you want.

shrub...i apologize if you think i meant you...i just meant every thread and every post made makes a cr250 sound useless.Nothing could be further from the truth.The 05 and up crs are some nice bikes and yeah ill admit that the 05 yz250 i had was a powerhouse...but to me it did not handle like this cr does.The yz just has more bottom end stock to stock and a crisper throttle response like no other,but with a few cheap mods im not scared to say that my cr is purty dogone close to the yz in bottom end power,throttle response and my mid to top is a touch better.I'll just stay on the sidelines and read the post from now on and keep what little bit i know from owning and riding both under my hat:ride: I really enjoy the post i read from everyone whether we agree or disagree:thumbsup:

i just wanted to ad this for all of us 2 stroke brothers...its really cool when you can take a dog bike like the cr250 and do just 3 simple mods that cost way less than a 4 stroke exhaust and wake the bike up to run with the best of them:thumbsup:

shrub...i apologize if you think i meant you...i just meant every thread and every post made makes a cr250 sound useless.Nothing could be further from the truth.The 05 and up crs are some nice bikes and yeah ill admit that the 05 yz250 i had was a powerhouse...but to me it did not handle like this cr does.The yz just has more bottom end stock to stock and a crisper throttle response like no other,but with a few cheap mods im not scared to say that my cr is purty dogone close to the yz in bottom end power,throttle response and my mid to top is a touch better.I'll just stay on the sidelines and read the post from now on and keep what little bit i know from owning and riding both under my hat:ride: I really enjoy the post i read from everyone whether we agree or disagree:thumbsup:

No, I think you're doing great. In the end, you can sit back and chuckle at us morons who keep propagating the the CRs are useless junk. You would think that this Kool-Aid would then find itself into the market place. Wrong. Every CR250R is consistently priced higher than YZ KX RM of similar abuse here on CL.

I am positive they'd make a good ride (CRs) but never found one in great condition at a low price that I could afford.:D🙂

I didnt mean that they are junk either, they are just not quite as good for power delivery especially for newbies, great handlers though!(Read: They are not "bad machines!")