Sign in to follow this  

04 Tc450 Popping, any suggestions?

Hey guys i've got an 04 tc 450 and it pop's quite abit on overun, is this common? is there any way i can sort this? Cheers

You mean poppin and stalling?? My TE450 does that, do you run premium? my bike popped more when I was running regular. I think its just a husky trait.

I have thought bout the exhaust but i don't quite know how to seal it? (tried a high temp silicone but it just melted that, not sure if exhaust paste is the best for it but i might give it a try) 🙂 run regular unleaded but i could try premium i spose it wouldn't hurt. it dosent pop on overun witht the choke out if this makes a difference?

Sounds like you are running to lean in the pilot jet. Turn mixture screw out 1/2 turn and see if this helps - you should only be about 2.5 turns out for correct mixture. If you need to go out further than 2.3 to 3 turns you need to increase pilot jet size by one and start again. No popping when using choke makes sense given the choke is a rich mixture.

I did the Noble Woods enduro on sat. in South Burwick ME.

It had a good show of Huskys in the line up. Most were 08's.

Half the field houred out before the 2nd check. Lots of deep mud.

Once the bike got hot I couldn't keep it from popping and flaming out every 50 feet.

I thought I was spot on with my jetting. Am I lean?

Went out on it today to run it in, rode round for a bit and it popped and died instantly! a few minuites later started straight off the button, rode it a bit more and the same happened again, popped and died instantly. this is where i gave up on it and rode it back to the van and in the shed, is it running to lean? would this cause it to pop and die instantly? i hope hasn't ruined the rebuild its just had 🙂

My TE450 pops more when the mixture is lean. I installed an R&D remote fuel screw and it makes it a snap to adjust for different conditions.

Of course my life changed for the better when I installed a Keihin FCR after having a hard time with the Mikuni.

I would say than pop and die should be because the fuel screw very far from where it should be or you could have dirt in the carb.