Sign in to follow this  

osteochondral defect

Dr. Mark I recently had arthroscopic surgery in my elbow because of a condition called osteochondral defect. I was told that it is when the bone dies out from an impact or trauma and that I basically had an 18mm hole in my elbow. Its located right at the point where you usually get tennis elbow. My question to you is how does it take to recover from this surgery and when can i ride again. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

First off you can ride when ever you feel like it.

The hole is pretty big for the lateral elbow and arthritis is probably a certainty.

You might consider the intallation of a piece of cadaver bone to replace the missing cartlage. That may lessen the chances of arthritis in the future.

First off you can ride when ever you feel like it.

The hole is pretty big for the lateral elbow and arthritis is probably a certainty.

You might consider the intallation of a piece of cadaver bone to replace the missing cartlage. That may lessen the chances of arthritis in the future.

Wow that is a pretty big hole there. Would this be similar to a OATS procedure like on the knee? I saw a case silmilar to this a few weeks ago but didn't get to observe the surgery, just took the H&P, saw the x-rays and such.

The problem is with the radius of curvature. You cant take a piece from the knee and put it in there., and taking if from the other elbow would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.