Sign in to follow this  

XL 75 Points Check

Read through many posts, and think my problem is with the points. How do i check them/gap them correctly?

1977 XL 75. Was running great. Got back from a spin around the neighborhood and now will not start. Fuel is fine, but no spark.

I have the side cover off the engine, but not sure how to check the points.

Thanks

line the t mark with the line on the case with the piston at top dead center and measure the gap of the points with a long feeler gauge. prolly around .030. if you need to adjust there is a screw holding the points in their position. loosen that screw a bit until you can adjust the points with the space provided.

Thanks.

I set per your guide. There is a triangle pointer in the case at about 1:00 which i assume is the mark for the T to line up with (TDC on compression). Set to .030, still no spark.

Looks like a trip to the dealer for some points, condensor and a plug.

Can the new points be put in without removing the flywheel? Looks like a tight fit to try to get in without additional access. I am thinking the wore hookup may also be a problem. Any insight on replacement tips.

1)Use a small point file [if you don't have one you can use a small, thin strip of sandpaper folded over so the "sand" part is on the top AND on the bottom] and gently isert it between the point contacts and file them just enough so that both contacts look shiny. [if you're using sandpaper, you'll need to open the points with a small screwdriver, push the sandpaper in between the contacts, and then drag the paper back out with the pressure of the points spring squeezing the sandpaper]This will be easier with the flywheel off, but you can still do it with it on and may take a lot of sanding before they are look nice and shiny.

2)Now you want to clean the contacts. Take a piece of white printer paper and cut 2 or 3, 1/4 inch strips. Now once agin open up the points and slide the thin strip of paper between the contacts, let the pressure of the point spring squeeze the paper, then drag the paper back out. Repeat this 7 or 8 times, tearing off the end of the paper that you just dragged through the dirty contacts, so you have a nice clean strip of paper each time.

3) Set point gap. Gap should be .012~.016

4) Check for spark [make sure you have a new spark plug or now that the one you are useing works] If no spark, use the paper again 2 or three times just to make sure they are free of debris. If you still have no spark, get back to me and we'll go on to the next step.

Thanks.

I set per your guide. There is a triangle pointer in the case at about 1:00 which i assume is the mark for the T to line up with (TDC on compression). Set to .030, still no spark.

Looks like a trip to the dealer for some points, condensor and a plug.

Can the new points be put in without removing the flywheel? Looks like a tight fit to try to get in without additional access. I am thinking the wore hookup may also be a problem. Any insight on replacement tips.

No you have to remove the flywheel to change the points and I would advise to get the proper puller for the XL75 as a regular 3 or 4 arm puller can ruin the end of the crankshaft.

Also, you must use the "F" mark on the flywheel, NOT the "T"

When the "F" is aligned with the mark on the crankcase, then at the exact moment the "F" lines up, the points should just begin to open. If the points begin to open much before or after the "F" [a liitle before is OK but if it's after you will be down on Hp], try varying the point gap between .012 and .016, you should be able to get the points to open just as the "F" aligns then the mark. If not, the points will should to be replaced.

When measuring the point gap, you do NOT need to align any marks, just measure the max gap.

This is for a CT70 but the principle is the same:

http://www.hondatrail70.com/Ignition20Timing20Adjustment.htm

Sorry guys, this talk about points is aging me. It actually brings back memories.

Charging a condensor and tossing it too a real good buddy. Now thats friendship.

I always remember my dad bringing a small file with him on the rides, when I was a kid. And always a spare set of points and condensor on camping trips.

Sorry guys, this talk about points is aging me. It actually brings back memories.

Charging a condensor and tossing it too a real good buddy. Now thats friendship.

I always remember my dad bringing a small file with him on the rides, when I was a kid. And always a spare set of points and condensor on camping trips.

Hahahahahahaha!!!! I thought we were the only ones that have done that!! I also took great enjoyment out of charging it and then just leaving it on the coffee table when friends were over, sooner or later someone always picked it up as they were idly chatting LOL

All,

Thanks for the help. A good cleaning of the points (PITA with the flywheel still on) and a correct setting, along with a new plug and I am off and running again!

Now on to the next project - either fixing the exhaust on the XL75 or cleaing the carbs on the XL600!

All,

Thanks for the help. A good cleaning of the points (PITA with the flywheel still on) and a correct setting, along with a new plug and I am off and running again!

Now on to the next project - either fixing the exhaust on the XL75 or cleaing the carbs on the XL600!

Really great to hear you got it running! 🙂