Sign in to follow this  

stupid question

since there is no fuel gauge, how do i know when to switch to reserve? will it start sputtering?

since there is no fuel gauge, how do i know when to switch to reserve? will it start sputtering?

Well I was about to say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but..:ride:

Yes it will splutter, and the harder you are riding it at the time the less warning you will get, if you are at full throttle, say in forth and nearly at the limiter it will just cut out, maybe with a very slight splutter.

At lower revs it will seem to hold back a little, and if you ease of the throttle it will pick up again before dying, maybe a couple of times.

It has never caused me a problem, and as you get more attuned to your ride it will give more warning.

If you are worried about it try this, find a nice open bit of road, and while cruiseing along, turn the fuel off and see what happens, then restart it, turn the fuel off, and pull away hard going up through the gears, you will soon see the different warning signs

Neil. 🙂:D:worthy:

It'll start running out of gas. Mine usually just quits while accelerating. As soon as I switch from the run possition to the reserve position it comes right back to life. Every once in a blue moon it'll quit while I'm sitting at a light.

Get to know how far from full to reserve for your bike/riding style. That way it won't be a surprise. Some tanks will go farther than others so you don't know to the tenth of a mile, but will be expecting it.

Or you can be proactive and switch to reserve before it is quite to time for it to quit running. That just makes way too much sense though.

Or you can be proactive and switch to reserve before it is quite to time for it to quit running. That just makes way too much sense though.

Much too sensible, going for a last second overtake and running out of juice realy gets the adrenaline going :ride:

Neil. 🙂:D:worthy:

Much too sensible, going for a last second overtake and running out of juice realy gets the adrenaline going :banghead:

Neil. 🙂:worthy::ride:

OH YEAH! That's what I"M talk'n 'bout! You never know you're alive 'till you almost ain't!:D

I have never had a bike that i have had to go to reserve so often as the DRZ. Riding style really affects fuel milage. I try to anticipate it and switch to reserve without having to stop or pull over.

I have never had a bike that i have had to go to reserve so often as the DRZ. Riding style really affects fuel milage. I try to anticipate it and switch to reserve without having to stop or pull over.
🙂

huh?.......you shold be able to switch to reserve while riding...... or am i not understanding your post :D

thanks for the replys. i understood the principal but ive just never let it run out before. just was curious

I have never had to stop or pull over to make the switch. I'd recommend you practice switching it over to reserve while moving. Just make sure you practice in a safe manor. Lonely back road, empty parking lot, someplace with lots of room. You should be able to reach down and turn the petcock without looking. It is one of the many skills you need to master to be safe on two wheels. You may not have a safe place to pull over if you need to do it that way. Not hard to do, but good to know you can.

I "0" my odometer everytime I fill up, when I get close to 180K I start thinking about gas within the next twenty K.

The best best best thing you should do, is make sure your valve is in the ON postion everytime you ride..I hit my 180K the other day and switched only to find I was already on reserve...If I didn't reset the Odometer.....thats a long push eh!!

Bev

I "0" my odometer everytime I fill up, when I get close to 180K I start thinking about gas within the next twenty K.

The best best best thing you should do, is make sure your valve is in the ON postion everytime you ride..I hit my 180K the other day and switched only to find I was already on reserve...If I didn't reset the Odometer.....thats a long push eh!!

Bev

As much as I hate to admit it, been there done that.🙂

I've got good at switching over while still moving too.

I would run out of gas at about 60 miles on my 650L. It would lose power and start coasting...then I'd just reach down and turn the petcock to reserve and the engine would run fine. I got mad when I realized that the right side of my tank had lots of gas left in it, so I bought an Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank that dual petcocks so I don't have to worry about it anymore. If you are off road, then your riding will naturally splash enough gas over to the other side so you get more range out of each tank. But on-road, you will run out early every time unless you have dual petcocks.

You should reset your odometer every time you fill up the tank, then try to anticipate when you might hit reserve. Hope this info helps....

Eric

:worthy: be sure you turn the valve back to on when you fill up. i forgot to one, then i was out riding and i was like wow im getting s long way on this tank :D 10 minutes latter cruising at 60 going up a hill it starts dyeing. reach down to put it on reserve... it keeps slowing down. pump the gas a few times... nothing. 🙂 what happened, pull over and try to start it, no starty. so im sitting on the side of the road thinking my brand new bike is blown up when i look down to notice i had put it to on. grrrr my tank is empty!!! :ride: