Sign in to follow this  

AZ Smog Failure for DRZ400E

The bike runs good....REALLY GOOD here @ 1200' and up at Sycamore & 4 Peaks riding areas.....but THE MAN :D (Maricopa County) gave it the BIG THUMBS DOWN this week due to a CARBON MONOXIDE FAILURE:thumbsdn:

The CO Standard is 5.50 and I was running in the 8.50 to 9.20 range.

2003 DRZ400E

Airbox Mod

FMF Full Pipe

The bike was bought from a guy in the Cave Creek area, so it obviously passed the sniff test before.

Jetting.......???? I am not sure what's in there cuz I just bought it last year, but I will open it up & check. If it does not have a JetKit installed, I will put one it.

I cleaned the air filter good & I put new fresh gas in the tank. The oil only had about 500 miles on it (maybe I should have changed this too).

Anyway, my question to ya'll Phoenix/Maricopa County fellow riders is simple:

1.) What jetting are you running?

2.) Do you re-jet for the smog test, or just show up with your normal jetting installed?

3.) Do you use any other tricks to pass??.....turn up the idle, open up the airbox, etc...

My son is using the bike for a few weeks, so I'll get it back near the end of the month. Then I will put a fresh plug in it, change the oil, and re-jet I guess and have it tested again.................damn, I wish the EPA would act on the AZ Recommendation to stop smog checks on motorcycles soon:banghead:

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

HappyRiding !!

🙂

get the motor good and hot.turn the fuel screw in till the idle starts to drop.

leave it there.go to smog test.pass and go back home and open the fuel screw just till the idle picks up.

mine is an S model with an rs-3 and a slant (E style) FCR

i run a 155mj, 38pj, adjustable airscrew between 5/8 and 3/4 out. emm right now on who knows what clip (needle still isnt right) but i have an emp next to the bike ready to install per eddie on the middle clip position. i would never pass with this carb in phoenix, i dont know how yours did before. i kept the stock carb just to run through emissions

Can they actually get an accurite reading with these tests?

i thought all they had to do was cars and trucks?

Thanks for the info Eddie...I'll give it a shot:applause: 🙂

1 more question though.....they have a big fan there & run it directly on your engine. Would the bike test cleaner if it ran without the fan????

Sean.....are you gonna' swap back to your stock carb when you need to test your bike??

FOR DRZDual & your question:

They sure do get accurate info, they stick a collector right over the exhaust and then let it sniff away:ride:

Our legislature passed a bill to exclude motorcycles for the testing here....AND The Gov'ner signed it too. BUT the EPA has to approve it before it can be implemented. It was sent off this spring, so we are waiting....and waiting......AND WAITING.

I have read that it can take up to 3 years to get their answer on it:banghead:

Later ya'll!

HappyRiding !!

:D:worthy: