Sign in to follow this  

Sand/Bead Blasting

does anyone know what the outcome would be if i were to sand blast the engine cases....wat color would it be? also does anyone know where this can be done

CK19_300.jpg

the process that was done was it was bead blasted and then some sort of chemical(s) maybe hydroflouric acid? not really sure. anyone kno if this could be done to the cases?

Sand blasting will make it whittish, and stain easily. But a good clear coat from PJ1 will keep it looking nice. One touch after sand blasting will even leave a finger print until its been clear coated. Now steel shot blasting will make it look nice. It makes aluminum look brand new, but no more smooth surface, now it will be more like orange peel, but much smaller and look great. Anything you do will need a shot of clear or you will get the aluminum oxidation which is a white powdery look. Just be careful of mating surfaces where gaskets seal. Lay them down on the surface to protect them, or tape them off.

would sandblasting the cases make it look like this

forks008.jpg

this isnt my bike but i think it would look nice if it looked like this...

bump...anyone have thoughts about sand/bead blasting the cases?

Don't do it...But if you do, make sure you boil the parts really well to try to get as much glass/sand out of the nooks, crannies, and pores as possible. Soda blasting or blasting with walnut shells is alot safer for cases and motor parts.

would any form of blasting restore the color of the metal...because im pretty sure the cases are chemicallt coated to have the sliverish look...would blasting it make it bare metal and look dark or make it look like that engine cover? just trying to see if there was any way to restore the color of the engine...i bought a used bike and plan to restore it and sell it again..just trying to see if there are any ways to make it look new again

would any form of blasting restore the color of the metal...because im pretty sure the cases are chemicallt coated to have the sliverish look...would blasting it make it bare metal and look dark or make it look like that engine cover? just trying to see if there was any way to restore the color of the engine...i bought a used bike and plan to restore it and sell it again..just trying to see if there are any ways to make it look new again

Clean cast aluminum is a bright color to start with, it would be a little lighter in color than the head, almost a bright white silver, i would agree with Toyota MDT Tech and say clear coat it

Clean cast aluminum is a bright color to start with, it would be a little lighter in color than the head, almost a bright white silver, i would agree with Toyota MDT Tech and say clear coat it

is this a product that you buy?

hey thats my case!!! sweet. Mine are holding up fine. The SOS pad was a must to keep it a little shinier and not super rough porous finish.

yes that is ur case cover...im wondering if blasting it with either shells, sand, or beads wwould make it look new again and restore it to the way it looked on showroom floor...with in mind that i already used a wheel etching cleaner that gave it a dull grey look...which i like if it was evenly done

and my other question is would applying an aluminum brightener or some kind of wheel etching cleaner thats acid base make it easier to stain or make the surface oxides (sp?) quicker? it seems like it etched or removed that coating of silver on the engine and now has a darker dull grey look to it

None of the blastings will make it look like the stock covers. I would use walnut shells and see what it does because its the softest. I used this lol, but my gun is NOT insanely high pressured:

631282240701.jpg

im talking about the acutal crankcases both halves...and the right case cover (not the clutch cover the actual right side case cover). yes walnut shells is the softest but it also works well i hear...i guess im basically asking if the dull grey look from the wheel etching cleaner will be removed if i were to blast it or maybe even lightly wire brush it with a drill...i did it on my 07 250f and my 05...i like the look but i bought a used bike that i am restoring to sell and i by accidently did it on that..without realizing that i might have lowered the value of it by doing it

Realize that many outer case covers are magnesium. Mag corrodes very badly when bare. Keep the stock coating on the cases or they will look like rubbish in short order if you blast them.

im talking about the acutal crankcases both halves...and the right case cover (not the clutch cover the actual right side case cover). yes walnut shells is the softest but it also works well i hear...i guess im basically asking if the dull grey look from the wheel etching cleaner will be removed if i were to blast it or maybe even lightly wire brush it with a drill...i did it on my 07 250f and my 05...i like the look but i bought a used bike that i am restoring to sell and i by accidently did it on that..without realizing that i might have lowered the value of it by doing it

thank you thats all i asked...i thought the wheel etching stuff removed the silverish coating that prevented it from oxidiesing(sp) and that the dull grey was its natural color so i didnt know if blasting to restore its color would restore it to a brighter color like it did before or remain that dull grey...it does look pretty cool though but i dnt think the person that buys the bike that i am restoring would like it

does anyone know how good PJ1 engine paint is? just trying to list out my options...srry for all the questions