Sign in to follow this  

What tyre pressures for offroading

going out tomorrow offroading and it is going to be real muddy as its summer here in the UKand as usual its been raining for about 2 weeks

ive got a fairly aggressive set of knobblies and the pressures set at 18.5 front and 20.5 at the rear

what do you guys think

You need much lower pressures but have you got rim locks on the wheels? if not be careful! I wouldnt go below 15lbs if I didnt have them. If you have rim locks I'd start at about 12psi for both and work my way down depending on conditions (easier than pumping them back up!)

Oh and dont lie its been raining all s*dding summer!

Dan

Would that pressure be ok for riding to the offroad ie 60-70 on dual carrageways, cornering in normal road conditions

When I got my bike a couple months ago it has 0 psi in the tires. I rode it like that for a week or 2 (until I checked it). Didn't have any major probs but my tires are stiff. Wouldn't of happened with my Trakmaster II's because they were so soft you could easily tell you had a flat.

I adjusted my tire pressure today after a long trail ride (mostly hardpack, gravel and grass). A good number for me for a mix of street and trail is about 18psi, front and rear. I was running them a little harder than that and didn't like it in the dirt. Ideally i'd put them lower for trail riding, but don't have the patience to adjust them constantly when I get back to commuting, which is about 75% of my riding.

I ran mine at 12lbs for 300 miles on a long distance trial with no probs.

Dan