Sign in to follow this  

Clutch basket play

Hey folks I've done a search but couldn't find the answer to this one, I've removed the clutch side crank case (after tussling with the Kick start!) to do the primary nut fix, water pump fix and check the basket nut. I haven't pulled the plates out yet but I can feel a significant amount of play in the clutch basket when I try to turn it back and forth. Is this normal? I cant see any figures in the manual. Any help appreciated.

Cheers Dan

after you locktite the primary nut you will be reinstalling the clutch bastket

make shor not to slam it into the plasteec oil pump gear ( they like to brake

just take a finger to mesh up the teeth

There are damper springs in the clutch basket. Some movement between the clutch basket and the driven gear is normal. There is no need to remove the clutch basket to do any of the "fixes" but you can if you want to take a look at the damper springs.

Cheers Noble, I'm reassured, I may well leave that for another day!

They often are. Some things never change. I learned to check that on my 1978 Suzuki GS1000 and every bike I've owned since.

Off to the garage in a mo to start again, I'll take pics as I go as there are few about on TT doing the job on a kicker, not that its much different. I'll check the spring tolerances while I'm about it. I'm not familiar with the damper springs, anything to look out for?

Dan

Ok the damper springs are lose in their housing but I cant see tolerances in the manual. I thibk I read you can pack them with a washer? is that OK? or is freeplay usual?

Cheers

Dan

Yea, don't worry about the damper springs unless actually broken.