Sign in to follow this  

WR 250 R Rev Limiter

Maybe it's just me or does the WR 250 R's rev limiter kick in a little early. If so, is there a "magic wire" solution?

It feels a little early to me, in particular in lower gears. However, without a tach, I wouldn't disable the rev-limited. Even with a tach, I don't think I would.

I attempted the last few nights to reach the rev-limiter. I was up to like 53 mph in third and gave up. It goes beyond what my ears will let it, and I have ridden 2 strokes most my life. I have only done one modification to the performance of the engine and don't know if that is why it sounds like it is going over the limit.

If I'm not mistaken, some regular WR riders have been clipping a wire to get the extra 500 revs that the limiter prevents before redline.

It feels a little early to me, in particular in lower gears. However, without a tach, I wouldn't disable the rev-limited. Even with a tach, I don't think I would.

You'll definitely know when you hit it...feels like major jetting problems on a two stroke. I actually thought it was a jetting problem on my CRF.

I attempted the last few nights to reach the rev-limiter. I was up to like 53 mph in third and gave up. It goes beyond what my ears will let it, and I have ridden 2 strokes most my life. I have only done one modification to the performance of the engine and don't know if that is why it sounds like it is going over the limit.

If I'm not mistaken, some regular WR riders have been clipping a wire to get the extra 500 revs that the limiter prevents before redline.

The gray wire mod changes the WR map into the YZ map. Same CDI just one has a grounded wire. Done it to my WRF.

The gray wire mod changes the WR map into the YZ map. Same CDI just one has a grounded wire. Done it to my WRF.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any gray wires on the service manual wiring diagram and the WR is not a CDI ignition. It's a transitorized ignition and has an ECU which controls the rev limiter. I don't see any wire you can cut to bypass it.

Wow....I have no clue how you arent hitting the rev limiter.

I hit it WAY too early in my opinion. I have changed to a 12t

front sprocket, so I dont know if that is the reason it comes

on fast or not. I do know, however, that I hit the limiter on

the track/trail in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pretty quickly.🙂

If I'm not mistaken, the "gray wire" mod only applies to the WR-F, not the WR-R dual-sport. The WR250R dual-sport is not the same engine, carb, or ignition.

If I'm not mistaken, the "gray wire" mod only applies to the WR-F, not the WR-R dual-sport. The WR250R dual-sport is not the same engine, carb, or ignition.

You are right. Along with the WR250R I also own a WR250F and a WR250 two stroke. I just forgot to put the F in there. So I am well aware the engine, carburetor and ignition are not the same. But good catch on the typing.

You are right. Along with the WR250R I also own a WR250F and a WR250 two stroke.

Too many toys and not enough time! 🙂

You are right. Along with the WR250R I also own a WR250F and a WR250 two stroke. I just forgot to put the F in there. So I am well aware the engine, carburetor and ignition are not the same. But good catch on the typing.
But isn't the OP asking about an "R" model? That was why I posted my response, I wasn't trying to nitpick you...🙂

But isn't the OP asking about an "R" model? That was why I posted my response, I wasn't trying to nitpick you...🙂

No problem. I guess I really did not make it clear. There is no gray wire mod on the WRR, that I know of anyway.

Too many toys and not enough time! :D

🙂 I once had Yamaha's Exciter jet boat, Exciter snowmobile and was thinking of getting their Exciter motorcycle. Just figured there wouldn't be a lot of sense in that, I all ready had a YZ250 2 stroke. Having the 3 different WR's I guess shows my colors.

Back to the post:

I just got back from the store and had the speedo showing 64 mph in 3rd gear, before I backed off. I am not going any farther than that!!! I would like to hit the limiter but........... I have stock gearing and tires so the speedo is as accurate as it was when I got it (probably 58 mph in reality.) So if someone else hits it in 3rd let me know.

Excerpt from a post I made in March or April:

-------

The engine started cutting out (rev limiter I guess) at the following indicated speeds:

1st - 34 mph

2nd - 49 mph

3rd - 66 mph

4th - 81 mph, not rev limited yet

5th - not measured

6th - not measured

-------

Add'l info - when you hit the limiter, you know it. The engine starts missing, and it won't go any faster. although if you keep holding the throttle wide open, it won't slow down either:)

Those speeds were on an X. Since the R has slightly longer legs, you may get one more mph or so on an R - just a guess.

At 80 in 4th, it had already done all the "quick":) accel it was going to. Then it was just how much more it might creep up to get to the limiter.

Having turned some laps at a roadrace track bouncing my WR250X off its rev limiter, I will say it makes more power and goes faster if you shift well short of the limiter.

+1........I can notice the distinct lack of pull wayyyy before the limiter hits. Gotta be way over 1000 rpm of just noise.

Having turned some laps at a roadrace track bouncing my WR250X off its rev limiter, I will say it makes more power and goes faster if you shift well short of the limiter.

huh, interesting. I guess I will have to really pay attention

to that on the mx track. Cause I cant seem to not hit the

limiter in 1st and 2nd.