Stand?

i bought one from a co. called "harbor freight" it cost about 79.50 a couple years ago. they do mail order and have retail stores in some cities. do computer search with that name,or look in yellow pages.

I bought a hydraulic bike lift from Pep Boys (an auto parts store - not sure if you have them in your area) for about $59 or so. It works great, and it was so cheap that I don't really care if it only lasts a year or two. I think it's just a chinese made deal - so I'm sure you can find something similar if you check around. These things work really well...just don't leave your bike suspended on it when you aren't keeping an eye on it - my first one developed a leak and it would sometimes lower the bike. This could have been a real problem if I had left the bike overnight and it tipped over onto my car or something in my garage. No biggie, they replaced it for free. It's a very handy tool for anytime I need to bike up in the air...hope this helps!

Eric

dude, mechanics 101:

if it droped when you have a bike on then you're not using it properly! read the directions.

there are ratchets & a ratchet lock bar that engage as it lifts. lift it to you desired ratchet point and then drop the hydraulic so it it held by the ratchet mechanism. just as floor stands should be used with a car lift these is how you use these types of lifts. one should never use hydro to hold any lift it in place for any legnth of time! even pro car lifts have lock safteys to hold the lift. it's not the hydro doing it! you probably did and stressed the the unit to failure NOT the unit failed by itself.

when you're done raise the lift past where the lock releases, lock it out of the way and drop the lift.

I bought a hydraulic bike lift from Pep Boys (an auto parts store - not sure if you have them in your area) for about $59 or so. It works great, and it was so cheap that I don't really care if it only lasts a year or two. I think it's just a chinese made deal - so I'm sure you can find something similar if you check around. These things work really well...just don't leave your bike suspended on it when you aren't keeping an eye on it - my first one developed a leak and it would sometimes lower the bike. This could have been a real problem if I had left the bike overnight and it tipped over onto my car or something in my garage. No biggie, they replaced it for free. It's a very handy tool for anytime I need to bike up in the air...hope this helps!

Eric

Thanks for the ideas. That style of lift looks very solid, do they really weigh 75lbs? Yeah, the craftsman reviews were pretty poor from what I saw. Sounds like lots of problems with the bottle jack.

I have a Goodyear 'racing' moto/atv lift. I did a search online and I found one locally on craigslist and got it new in the box for $75. I bought mine last year, and at that time there were a bunch of them floating around all over the country. Must have been a closeout somewhere. Pretty nice unit for the price.

No rafters here, I don't even have a dang garage right now. A hoist sounds like a good idea though. I pulled my bike up on the deck last night and used a floor jack, boards, and the kick stand to prop up the bike while I raised the rear shock back up and checked the front fork. Oh and I pulled the snorkel off, that really did make a difference:applause: But back to the point, I never want to do that balancing act again. Harbor freight is getting a lot of props here.

Is anyone using the motorsport P-12 lift/stand?

• 2 months later...