Sign in to follow this  

Stripped the Valve Cover Bolt Hole - @%$#%!!

So I did my initial valve check last night at 850 miles. Inlet valves were within spec, exhaust valves needed some love as one side was too tight. I used Jesse's tool kit for the job and they made the job easy. While re-installing the exhaust valve cover I snapped the head off of one of the bolts (shifter side). 🙂 I got the threaded portion out of the hole no problem. Got a new bolt, install it into the hole and I don't like the way it feels (you know that feeling). I take it out and 4 turns of threading come out with it. :D I figure I've still got eight turns of thread in there so I re-install the bolt gently, but that feeling is still there. Took the bike for a spin down the block and no leak, so question for you all:

A) Should I leave it alone?

:worthy: Should I strip the rest of the threads out and install an over-sized self-tapping screw?

c) Should I drill out the hole and tap it properly for a slightly larger bolt?

I'd like to say I don't think I over-muscled it, but a snapped bolt head and stripped threads say otherwise. Any one have any suggestions besides "Stop wrecking your bike!"? Thanks in advance.

If it was me I wouldn't leave it just because I'm a perfectionist, but ive done the same thing that you have just before a big ride and I took it anyway and everything turned out fine. You may want to heli-coil it so you can use the original bolt. But if you need a temporary fix try some permatex thread repair.

/\ Seconded on the helicoil fix. I used one on my CR500 when one of the clutch cover bolt holes stripped out and it worked great.

What bike did you do this on? On a post-96 DR650, you don't need to remove the valve cover; there are two access points for checking the valves. You have buggered the threads, Get it heli-coiled, and then you can still use the original bolt. Once it is fixed, invest in a torque wrench and a service manual. We've all been there, but the goal is not to return.

'08 DR650. Heli-coil? I'll check it out. I just saw a banner ad here for timesert.com. Looks like what you guys are talking about. Anyway, in the last hour I got a longer than stock stainless bolt (same thread size) to take advantage of the threads all the way out the bottom of the hole. That got me like 5 more threads. I snugged it up and it felt just fine this time and I'm confident it'll hold, but I'll check those other options in case "Murphy" shows up. Thanks again.

Heli-coil that thing and you won't have that little worry in the back of your head each time you ride.

I don't know if the holes go all the way into the valve area in the head, but I would be worried about thread chunks that may have dropped into the head and getting mixed in your oil. They probably wouldn't hurt anything, but you never know. LOL, as I am reading this, I noticed there is an ad at the bottom of the page for timesert thread repair kits and inserts. Coincidence?

time sert or heli-coil.

find a mchine shop guy and have him do it right.

permatex expoxy make a thread stuff is crap.

I don't know if the holes go all the way into the valve area in the head, but I would be worried about thread chunks that may have dropped into the head and getting mixed in your oil.

On the exhaust valvae cover on the left (shifter) side, the hole doesn't go into the head at all. The hole ends in open space next to the head. I guess if you're gonna strip a hole, that's the one to strip.

Now that I think about it, you could probably strip that specific hole and just drop a bolt all the way thru with a nut at the bottom and be okay.