Sign in to follow this  

Wait for 09 450, or buy an 08 for cheap??

So I was going to wait for the 09 450's to be released and buy one of them. However, it appears Suzuki is sending the updated engine cases for all the 08's to the dealers, and they must be giving them some type of incentive in order for them to move the bikes off the showroom floor. I have't called all my local Suzuki dealers yet, but the first two I talked to said they'd sell one for $6200 out the door....and I wasn't even trying to negotiate with them or anything! Furthermore, seems none of the dealers know when they're going to get the 09's in.

While I'd like to have the latest year bike, it really doesn't look like Suzuki has changed anything on the 09's, besides the graphics and the engine cases...which are coming on the later 08's now. Can anyone actually confirm that there isn't any differences besides this between the 08 and 09's?

What do you guys think I should do here? I currently ride an 05 CRF 450R, but after 4 years on this thing I can't wait to get on something new and have been wanting to ride Suzukis for quite some time now. Seems like I have an opportunity here to save $1000+, and I noticed the list price on the 09's went up to $7500! If I decide to maybe go with an 08 I'm still going to see how much more the dealer can come off the $6200 price.

Let me know what you guys think. Your input is appreciated.🙂

was told that suzuki drastically cut the cost of an 08 to like $5200.to the dealers

I heard the same thing...Suzuki has released some 08 RMZ450's with the updated engines at a good discount to the dealers. Everybody's 09 seems to be going way up in price (especially KTM). You know these bikes are getting so good and they all seem to have jumped well past the 7K MSRP - makes you wonder if a good discount on an 08 might be the way to go...at least for yellow 450F's!🙂

In Canada they will re-release the updated 08's at a greatly reduced price in September and the 09's in October or so I've been told.Should be a great bike either way.It's been a tough,long wait for the yellow faithful.

i work at a bike shop in aus.

My 08 got stolen. was going to wait for an 09 but from what suzuki aus told me it will be a long time before anybody gets the 09. Basicly everybody needs to sell there 08's before they get there 09's. Also i have heared that the U.S. sent most of there 08's back to japan to get them to change the cases.

Ans aus has more 08's on order but they havent left japan yet.

with that in mind get what ever you can get your hands on. I got an 09 yz and i am missing the injection now. I didnt think that it made that much differance when i went to the efi but now i have gone back to carb i reccomend you get anything you can get your hands on.

well i pulled the trigger and picked up an 08 today. the dealer just finished putting the new 09 replacement motor in it. after riding honda's for the last 4 years it feels good to get on something new and fresh. plus, the fact that i won't have to worry about the dreaded bog from a carb is nice also 🙂. can't wait to ride it tomorrow.

well i pulled the trigger and picked up an 08 today. the dealer just finished putting the new 09 replacement motor in it. after riding honda's for the last 4 years it feels good to get on something new and fresh. plus, the fact that i won't have to worry about the dreaded bog from a carb is nice also 🙂. can't wait to ride it tomorrow.

you lucky bastard!! I have been lookign for one local to me fo ra while. I use ebay all the time, but am not sure how comfortable I am buying one off there

well i pulled the trigger and picked up an 08 today. the dealer just finished putting the new 09 replacement motor in it. after riding honda's for the last 4 years it feels good to get on something new and fresh. plus, the fact that i won't have to worry about the dreaded bog from a carb is nice also 👍. can't wait to ride it tomorrow.

They put the 09 motor in it? Huh? You mean they carried out the necessary recall work which was just swapping out a few parts if i remember clearly, not the entire motor. Congrats on the new bike though.

They put the 09 motor in it? Huh? You mean they carried out the necessary recall work which was just swapping out a few parts if i remember clearly, not the entire motor. Congrats on the new bike though.

Yes the entire motor is being swapped out on the bikes now. Suzuki ships the dealers a complete motor assembly in a crate. The dealer then sends the old motor assembly back to Suzuki. In fact I almost wasn't able to take the bike home with me on Saturday, because the dealer wasn't sure he had received the new updated paperwork from Suzuki showing the bike with the new updated serial number motor. Because technically you'd be walking out the door with a bike and paperwork showing you had the old serial number motor in it, and Suzuki won't allow it. Fortunately, they received the papers the day before and I was able to take the scooter home. 👍

how do i go about getting a new engine?

well u don't since u already own the bike. suzuki will make any updates to your motor if they haven't already been performed. they're only replacing whole engines in new bikes still in warehouses or on showroom floors.