Sign in to follow this  

Twist forward???

Went for a dual sport ride today. Twenty minutes out my throttle cable broke. The top "pull" cable frayed and broke. The FCR carb will spring back by itself from a throttle position so I took the lower "push" cable and mounted it on top. The twist grip now twisted forward for the gas. :D VERY CONFUSING! I could no longer ride aggressively but was able to at least ride out. 🙂

that'd be a good way to compensate for standing up, insted of moving your grip up on the throttle, you simply give it more gas 🙂

Did that about twenty years ago on an old Honda CB500. Swapping the cables got me 30 miles to home but wow! That is seriously confusing.

Yep, I've done it on an '83 CB1100F. Very weird to ride. I'd accidentally roll the throttle on every time I stopped.

that'd be a great way to eliminate the beginning cyclists reaction to chop the throttle as soon as they saw trouble!

A beginner wouldn't have as much trouble with it. They aren't used to twisting the throttle in the proper direction.

I hoped that we could continue to ride with a little practice with the throttle. My group was following me since I knew the trails. I turned off on a two track that quickly turned to whoops. I was in third gear and soon lost my orientation on the throttle. Every whoop added another blip on the throttle and I kept going faster. My dirt bike instincts told my to chop the throttle, nope wide open. I finally stomped on the rear brake and put an end to the madness.

I decided that I would settle with just being able to ride the bike out of the woods. 🙂