Sign in to follow this  

Blew out anouther clucth gasket

This clucth gasket number 2 in 2 months I blow out while riding putting oil all over the rear of the bike.

It was not over filled I check every time before I go ride the bike when standing the bike straight up and down It's at half way up the sight glass before start up.

Last time it blew out the clucth gasket and this time I was running the bike hard in upper RPM's range Is this the cause of why I blowing out gaskets or where should I be looking to fix this gasket blowing.

I been lucky so far and not ran the bike dry and realy screwing the bike up I want to fix this gasket blowing out before I end up running the bike out of oil one of these days.

I checked the Blow by tube it seems to have no restriction to it either Where should I be looking at to find my problem or is it due to high RPM's causing to much case pressure blowing out my gaskets.

The big draw back is #1 the local KTM shop closed down #2 I ordered and 2 new Clucth gasket 1 spare just in case I blow anouther one apart The worst I can not go riding again untill in comes in the mail around the 19th of this month it's the 9th today This sucks I want to do some riding.

I hope this is not a normal 4 stroke thing.

I would recheck your blow by hose for any kind of restriction or kink. Also check the fitting in the case and the carb. If it is correct you should not have this problem unless you are getting much more blow by then normal. I noticed you have modified your machine to a 560 so this is entirely possible.

I would also take a machinist rule and make sure your clutch cover is perfectly flat.

This is a factory 560 SMR it is ported I going to check the clucth cover make sure it is flat.

Where I work we have a macine shop.

This is a factory 560 SMR.

Oops, my bad. 🙂

Check the fitting on the inlet bell of the carb. I saw an 05 where the casting was closed up on the inlet bell causing the crank case to pressurize. On this particular machine it was causing endless counter shaft leaks. It took a while to figure it out.

Inlet Bell Is this on the air cleaner side or the motor side I a 2 stroke guy this is my first KTM and first 4 stroke dirt bike, I made the swicth after 30 + years of riding.

Inlet Bell Is this on the air cleaner side or the motor side I a 2 stroke guy this is my first KTM and first 4 stroke dirt bike, I made the swicth after 30 + years of riding.

There should be a hose from the front right side of the engine going to the air cleaner side of the carb. Check the engine fitting for obstructions and the carb side. Also make sure you are not pinching the hose when you install the fuel tank. This really isn't a problem with this engine unless there's a problem with the vent line.

No such hose on a SMR the 1/2 inch O/D hose for the motor Blow by just go's to the rear of the engine cases and dumps out where the Carb vent lines go.

I run a Rekluse gasket. It's thicker than the KTM. Never blown it (35+ hours). I also run my oil at the lower 1/3 of the site glass cold, if I run it in the middle, my countershaft seal leaks a little. I think the site glass is calibrated more for the 525 and the extra displacement of the 560 may over tax what little crankcase volume these beasts have.. Look into a crank case breather valve also. They keep a slight neg pressure in the cases to save your gaskets/seals and keep oil from blowing out the breather tube. I don't have one on mine yet, but it will be getting one soon.

You might want to check your catch tank also. I've heard that sometimes they don't breathe well enough and cause a multitude of problems. My tank is for track days only.

I have no catch tank This bike is set up for MX only full dirt I try the 1/3 oil level and see what happens I ordered 2 gaskets already I try running both of them see if that works any better I look in to a crank case breather also do you have a web site that I can go look at.

I run a Rekluse gasket. It's thicker than the KTM. Never blown it (35+ hours). I also run my oil at the lower 1/3 of the site glass cold. Look into a crank case breather valve also. They keep a slight neg pressure in the cases to save your gaskets/seals and keep oil from blowing out the breather tube. I don't have one on mine yet, but it will be getting one soon.

You might want to check your catch tank also. I've heard that sometimes they don't breathe well enough and cause a multitude of problems. My tank is for track days only.

I've heard that KTM is going to make (has made?) thicker gaskets for RFS'. If you get the old thin ones, you'll probably blow them again. I know several 560 riders that only stopped blowing the gaskets with the Rekluse ones. I ordered mine from Bob at Cycle Buy in Oregon. When I called him last year, he didn't have any in stock. He called back about an hour later and said that he had found one in his tool box and sent it to me.

Here's a link to a page on KTMTalk about the breather (with links to the seller) http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=258499&hl=breather

Here's another one for a cheaper alternative that's supposed to work well but's a little cobby:

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=261824&hl=breather

I'm not sure why he used a brass fitting for the hose, there is no pressure on that side of the valve. If I use this one, I will use a nylon fitting.

If you are not a member, let me know and I'll send you the links to the actual parts. I sent the links to the threads because they explain the thought behind the valves pretty well.

I have read that posting in the past I need to wait a bit before I get a Travis model

one I just spent $225.00 on a new tank and anouther $40.00 in gaskets, Mabe next pay check.

The gasket from KTM have been revised with a new part Number with any luck these are thicker.

On the brite side this is giving me some down time to clean the bike better and gives me time to go over every thing.

But my neighbor went riding this morning I heard his bike fire up made me get the ich I have not been riding with him yet he rides a YZF 250 He said he can not stay up with me he have seen me ride away and comming back from riding he saids you were sure moving pretty good.

I've heard that KTM is going to make (has made?) thicker gaskets for RFS'. If you get the old thin ones, you'll probably blow them again. I know several 560 riders that only stopped blowing the gaskets with the Rekluse ones. I ordered mine from Bob at Cycle Buy in Oregon. When I called him last year, he didn't have any in stock. He called back about an hour later and said that he had found one in his tool box and sent it to me.

Here's a link to a page on KTMTalk about the breather (with links to the seller) http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=258499&hl=breather

Here's another one for a cheaper alternative that's supposed to work well but's a little cobby:

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=261824&hl=breather

I'm not sure why he used a brass fitting for the hose, there is no pressure on that side of the valve. If I use this one, I will use a nylon fitting.

If you are not a member, let me know and I'll send you the links to the actual parts. I sent the links to the threads because they explain the thought behind the valves pretty well.

Cool. Can you let us know how the new gaskets work out? I don't know anyone who was having problems that is using the revised gaskets. If they work, I'll order a couple. They are a little cheaper than the Rekluse gaskets and it would save me shipping since I could have them tossed in with my next parts order from KTM.

🙂

Contact Terry Adams (Tfunk on supermotojunkie) He actually had some made by Cometic - these are very thick and hard - very good quality- $20 each - They will not blow out or leak.

Glenn