Sign in to follow this  

How long does rebuild burn-off last?

I rebuilt the bike and started it up. Its been smoking since its first start. I warmed it up for about 5 mins. Took it for a ride up and down the block. Parked it, checked the oil cause I couldn't see any in the oil window unless I leaned it over. Ended up draining it and refilling it with new oil just to make sure I had enough...still don't see it in the window. Anyways, revved it out a bit, not too much, but still smoking. Took it around the block 3 times, easy throttle with occasional run through the gears...still smoking! I don't see any leaks. Bike idles a little high but I'm sure I can turn it down and it runs really strong. No misses. I'm taking it out for its 1st ride tomorrow and I don't want to be smoking up the whole track. My 2stroke doesn't even smoke that much.

somthings not right mabey the oil ring is not in right or lined up right

got a bunch of info out of general forum. looks like I'm doing it over.

got a bunch of info out of general forum. looks like I'm doing it over.

Before you take it apart, what did you find in the general forums that you believe gave you the answer?

How much oil did you coat the cylinder/piston with upon reassembly? If you did excess, it will smoke like hell. Is the bike runnign properly otherwise? Be sure you need to take it apart before you do, because ytou will need to replace the top and bottom gaskets again if you do, and that is just liek wasted money if you didnt need to do it.

TOld me to assemble it dry. Hone the cylinder. Replace rings, being sure to stagger them. New gaskets. Oil is getting past the rings and causing it to smoke. After re-assembly, rotate it 50 times to start setting process and don't start it until I plan on riding it. While riding make sure to use engine braking.

I think that covers it.

Don´t assemble the rings and piston completely dry... It can cause problems. Just use a light coat of engine oil on rings and piston skirt.

This is what JE recommends...

I think that your oil control ring is damaged or improperly installed...

That causes them to smoke and never stop doing it...

I would recommend to put the piston in the cylinder on the bench, with the cylinder laying upside down.

That way you can easily see if the rings go in easily all the way around.

If you put it on 2-stroke style it´s easy to snag the rings. 2-strokes have stiffer rings that go in easier, your KXF has a rather flimsy oil control ring, that is hard to push in with just fingers. I´ve seen people get it wrong.

Just push the piston in to the cylinder and then mount it to the engine. Leave enough of the piston out to fit the piston pin.

Interesting. I'll see if I can do that. The 4stroke cranks does not come up as high as the 2stroke one so it was a pain keeping it at its highest point to fit the cylinder over it.

only oil the piston pin and the underside of the piston..leave the cylinder dry...make sure to have a good cross hatch to ensure tight sealing..after that ride it hard with strong accleration and deceleration to expand the rings to seal tight...

That could also be another possibility...

It may not definately be your rings, could be valve stem oil seals either.

If the seals are gone on the intake valves it will suck oil in from there causing smoke, although rings are more likely the prob.