Sign in to follow this  

Death Rattle in 4th or 5th Bogging

I heard the worst noise today during a long ride. I was bogging down a little in 4th, and my bike made the craziest noise that sounded like a rock was bouncing around in my engine.

Any ideas?!?!?!?!?!!

My bike ran fine other wise. We rode for a couple hundred street miles. Pretty hard too.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!!!

I've heard it rolling on the throttle from low rpm's in high gear. It's a metallic "tink tink" soud that is very unnerving. Hear it a couple times and it'll teach you to gear down and roll on the throttle from a little higher rpm. I think your engine is fine, just adjust your riding style to suit the DRZ.

Mine was pinging alittle between shifts I just went up a jet on the main.

One other noise I did find while hunting it down was the 2 keys on my keychain where banging around. Just something to check.

how fast were going in 5th gear?

Not sure, but my guess would be over 50mph uphill. Tried to get it to do it in 3rd by bogging it, but it doesn't. Only seems to do it in 4th or 5th gear.

It seemed like almost every time it happened it was while I was going uphill.

BTW, checked my oil level and its fine. And if anything, my bike is running slightly rich. Also, I do use the bike to commute to work and usually rev the hell out of it.

The bike is an 03 KLX400 that I recently converted to SM with stock SM wheels. I changed the jets, K&N Filter, 3x3 mod, cut center of exhaust not the entire center, 16t front, 41t rear.

Thanks again for the help. Please let me know if the bike is doomed. 🙂

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you just need to downshift sooner. My bike doesn't seem to like being below high 40's to 50 mph with a hill in fifth, and I have stock "S" gearing. With that gearing you have it would probably be like me lugging mine down to high 30's, which is way too low.

The bike is an 03 KLX400 that I recently converted to SM with stock SM wheels. I changed the jets, K&N Filter, 3x3 mod, cut center of exhaust not the entire center, 16t front, 41t rear.

16/41 with SM wheels? If you get under 60mph in top gear, you need to down shift for any acceleration or it will rattle. IE, you are lugging the engine badly

16/41 with SM wheels? If you get under 60mph in top gear, you need to down shift for any acceleration or it will rattle. IE, you are lugging the engine badly
+2 on that.i just put on 15/38 and im shifting at 60+mph in 4th to 5th.any thing under and its too low in rpm when trying to acelerate

2nd this

rev it up