Sign in to follow this  

new to KTM, any suggestions for my 450 exc-r

I just got my 450 excr today. this thing is a tractor, not used to a kill switch that stays on the kill position. its definately a good motor, it feels much stronger than a 450x and wr450f i've ridden. but only used bottom to mid so far.

how long does it usually take to break this engine in. the cases seem to get very hot and so does the engine, don't laugh, my yami's engine was very cool to touch

one thing I noticed right of the bat... the steering is so quick, its extremely twitchy compared to my old wr, used to holding on with my knees and just letting the bike steer itself, but the bike feels nice and the linkless rear suspension seems to get better traction, or maybe its the massive tire it has.

anyways, i'm going to get a steering stabilizer asap, and rejet it. so here is my question, which dampner do you all like, i've used scotts only and its magical to say the least. and i am going to order a f2 jet kit right now

I hear there are 2 maps, traction and power, does my bike have it?

oh, and i just had to get this bike, chaparral was selling them for the price of a new jap 250f

It seems just about everyone is using JD jet kit My bike was already jetted when I purchased mine.

I heard break in hard as you were normaly ride it then once again I old school ride 1 to 2 tanks at start out easy and as it breaks in ride at normal speeds dont ride it real hard let do heat cycles during break in but thats me.

It seems just about everyone is using JD jet kit My bike was already jetted when I purchased mine.

I heard break in hard as you were normaly ride it then once again I old school ride 1 to 2 tanks at start out easy and as it breaks in ride at normal speeds dont ride it real hard let do heat cycles during break in but thats me.

thanks, I already ordered the f2 one, I read some reviews so I thought I would go with them. i've been keeping it about a gear high trying to pressure seal the rings, mototune recommendation, but the engine just rev's through it.

the power is starting to seem flat now that I have ridden it more than half a mile, and I don't seem to mind the quick steering as much. great bike, and how can you not love a company who says welcome to the family on there manuals nice case. yamaha just gives you a clear zip lock bag.

i'm also going to change the gearing from 15/45 to 14/46 so the chain length is the same and the top speed will be dropped by a bit. it does 50 so easily not even in high gear.

and i thought ktm's vibrated?

This is my first KTM also and first 4 Stroke dirt bike I ever owned my self it took some getting use to for me and lot of tweecking for my liking but I more or less happy with My bike just likes to wander it the sandy stuff still trying to figuer that one out still.

If someone else has some insight how to get rid of the wandering on lose sand send the info my way the bike works great on every thing else I throw at it.

I know what you are talking about with the quick steering. I came off of a yz400f, which was rock solid stable. The bike was great on single track until I hit a rock or a root, then the bars wanted to rip out of my hands.

Did you notice there are two steering offsets, 18mm and 20mm? My 450xcr-w came stock with the 18mm offset which gives quicker steering. I might try the 20mm to get more stability. However, I like the quicker steering for the single track, so the idea of sticking with the 18mm offset with a steering stabilizer sounds like a sweet set up.

Before I spend any money, I'm going to try to set up the bike right for my weight. A lot of people on this website stress you need to get the correct rear spring for your weight, or else everything will be a little off. Do a search on the THE GOLDEN RULE OF SAG which explains how to sellect the correct springs for your bike to match your weight.

Oh, one other point. My dealer rejeted my bike. He also put in a new accelerator pump cover and remote fuel screw from R&D. The bike runs nice and cool. I didn't over heat it on 30+ miles of single track in 85 degree weather, so I think fatter jetting is the ticket to keeping these bikes cool.

thanks, I was going to set up my suspension later on this week when my friend comes back from the reserves, he has suspension tools to measure fork oil, adjust preload.

the steering seems to be fine, now that I have 25 miles on the bike, i think i've gotten a bit used to it. but its still twitchy. the bars feel comfortable in there current spot, stock one, so I don't want to mess with that.

and i've used steering stabilizers before and there is just no substitute. they are awesome.

I believe my excr can turn completely inside the my old wrf if they were next to each other, sure makes it easy to maneuver in tight stuff

I know what you are talking about with the quick steering. I came off of a yz400f, which was rock solid stable. The bike was great on single track until I hit a rock or a root, then the bars wanted to rip out of my hands.

Did you notice there are two steering offsets, 18mm and 20mm? My 450xcr-w came stock with the 18mm offset which gives quicker steering. I might try the 20mm to get more stability. However, I like the quicker steering for the single track, so the idea of sticking with the 18mm offset with a steering stabilizer sounds like a sweet set up.

Before I spend any money, I'm going to try to set up the bike right for my weight. A lot of people on this website stress you need to get the correct rear spring for your weight, or else everything will be a little off. Do a search on the THE GOLDEN RULE OF SAG which explains how to sellect the correct springs for your bike to match your weight.

Oh, one other point. My dealer rejeted my bike. He also put in a new accelerator pump cover and remote fuel screw from R&D. The bike runs nice and cool. I didn't over heat it on 30+ miles of single track in 85 degree weather, so I think fatter jetting is the ticket to keeping these bikes cool.

i've ridden my bike 25 miles in the 100 degree heat of socal, and bike didn't seem to run hot, I mean it wasn't puking over sputtering, glowing or smelling. the emissions junk was doing its annoying thing only when i let off the throttle.

but i'm still running it in so I havn't seen past 1/3 throttle yet

Dump the smog crap, Re-jet, Re-gear, gut the pipe and let it rip! It will impress you even more!!

If you really wanna have some fun get a motard setup and prepare to RUN!!!

100_1317.jpg

BTW... Scotts is the ONLY way to go!!! Hit a 2x4 at 90mph on the freeway the other night and it barley twitched!

100_1318.jpg