Sign in to follow this  

1998 KLX 300R "clacking sound"

I am a newbie all around and have a question for anyone in the know. I have a 98 klx 300R that was making a faint "clack clack clack" sound at idle and high rpm's but not in mid rpms. I took it into my local mechanic and he tore it down. Got it back today and it's twice as loud and "clack clack clacks" at any rpm. What the heck could it be? I called the mechanic and of course his standard answer is "well it's nothing we did and it was a concern of mine, so if you would like to bring it back we can dig deeper into the problem." I am out of cash and options? I can't pay him $60 per hour to tinker with it.

HELP?!?!?

Thank you,

PW

Could be just the cam chain slapping around. The automatic tensioner, if working properly, will take up the slack. It is a ratcheting mechanism that puts tension on the chain using a spring. But sometimes, when it is about to take up another notch, it will make more noise than normal. Then it will take up the notch and quiet back down. This cycle will repeat as the cam chain stretches over time.

Pull the cam tensioner out and and un ratchet it and put it back in. If that doesn't help pull the valve cover off and see whats going on sometimes the sprockets bolt maybe loose and can create noise. If thats not it get a manual and look at the timing chain stretch section and see if your chains in spec.

This should get you going,

Good luck,

Kevin

Thanks guy's. I should have mentioned that I took the bike in initially to get a valve job. Now the sound is suddenly twice as loud. Does that mean anything to you guy's. Is there something that the mechanic may have missed at reassembly?

Thanks,

PW

Okay, quick update. I removed the cam chain tensioner and reset it. Didn't make any difference. So I got to thinking that if it's malfunctioning it probably isn't advancing itself to take up the slack properly. I took off the tensioner again and advanced it manually one notch and put it back on. Kicked it over and the sound is way better. So does this mean that the tensioner is not functioning and I shoud replace? Or was I just impatient and didn't give it time to advance itself? Seems like it shouldn't take so long that the cam chain slaps around quite that bad? If it needs replaced should I go with a manual tensioner from TT or just replace it with an auto one from kawasaki?

PW

ive had the same problem now for a year,its been driving me insane , but thanks this actually helped me two