Sign in to follow this  

Totally Horrified >> Update

Today I was working for my dad. We were doing an excavation job in a new subdivision in the local area. As we were loading up getting ready to call it a day, I hear a group of about 8 Harley Davidson's cursing by. About 5 seconds after, all we hear is total wreckage. We jumped into the dump truck and took off to the scene. When we got there, I see a car in the ditch, and 5 bikes laying all over the road and ditch, along with limp bodies.

Two other people were there as soon as we were. Within 2 minutes there was probable 12 people helping the hurt bikers including us. I was making sure we found everybody. The ditch was about 20 feet down with forest at the edge. After we accounted for everyone, we tried to figure out who was hurt the worst so we could tell the first ambulance crew witch one to attend to first.

It was bad. One guy was laying one his side, leg riped open and broken in about 4 visible spots, and had something wrong with his shoulder also. He was losing a lot of blood. Another guy was laying with his lower body up of the road and his upped body laying on the down slope of the ditch. He said multiple times that he was having trouble breathing and could not feel his legs. The other 3 guys were laying way down the 20 foot deep ditch. I herd they were just as bad. They had obvious broken bones, as well as some internal issues. It took five minutes for the first ambulance to arrive, and 3 more arrived shortly after. I didn't know any of these men, and I don't know how many have made it or what their status is. It happened at about 3pm my time. It's 9:15 pm now.

This was an event that I will never forget. I have never scene so much blood and disfigured bodies in my 16 year old life. The worst part of all, when it was just me, my dad, and 2 other people. The driver of the car that was totally okay and was sitting on the side of the road, he was crying about how he just bought his car. After more people showed up, my father grabbed the little puke by the neck and showed him all the half dead bikers laying around him. All that was on this guys mind was how he just bought the car. It's was obvious that it was the driver of the car's fault, me must have not been paying attention and drifted into the other lane, only to take out 5 out of 8 motorcycles.

Moral of the story, it doesn't matter what kind of road motorcycle you ride. GSXR1000 or a Harley, they are all just as dangerous. And after what I went threw today, I will never ever buy a road motorcycle in my life, there is to many idiots out there. 🙂

• Like 3

good lord, i could not live with myself if that would have been all my fault

Gahan, you will never be able to eliminate the danger that is present for all people that choose to ride. If you shy away and give up, it's your choice. I realize the danger every time I ride on the road, but I love to ride and am as careful as I can be. I accept the risk, and enjoy every ride. Just today I rode and was VERY careful the entire time. I hope you don't give up riding, but again - it's your choice. Whatever choice you make is right for you and nobody can say you're wrong. I've ridden for over 20 years and never had an accident on the road. Am I lucky....well maybe. Am I skilled...most definately. You can die doing lots of things, even just walking down a flight of stairs. I'm sure you ride in a car every day, which is dangerous. If you love to ride like I do, your best bet is to be very conscious of what drivers are thinking and doing, and be careful accordingly. I hope you aren't scarred forever by what happened. When God decides to call you home, that's that. Relax and ride brother...just be careful!

Eric

• Like 2

the driver didnt even care??? what an *******! i woulda beat the crap outta him, he coulda killed many people and all he frikin thought about was his car? how do people like that live with themselves....

the driver didnt even care??? what an *******! i woulda beat the crap outta him, he coulda killed many people and all he frikin thought about was his car? how do people like that live with themselves....

totally.. And the car was some old ford hatch back or something.. Maybe worth $1000.

Good for you for stopping and helping out :D Like Eric already stated everything is dangerous. You take chances every day doing things you would never think could kill you.When I was an EMT I saw alot of car wrecks that look like you just described, I still drive a car when I need to, also seen some excavation accidents with guys electricuted and burned alive from hitting utilitys but you have to go to work every day so you do everything in your power to lessen you risks. Riding on the road you need to ride smart, ride with good gear and ride safe and make good choices. Good job for helping out again lots of people today would drive right on by, way to go bro! 🙂

• Like 1

Gahan, you will never be able to eliminate the danger that is present for all people that choose to ride. If you shy away and give up, it's your choice. I realize the danger every time I ride on the road, but I love to ride and am as careful as I can be. I accept the risk, and enjoy every ride. Just today I rode and was VERY careful the entire time. I hope you don't give up riding, but again - it's your choice. Whatever choice you make is right for you and nobody can say you're wrong. I've ridden for over 20 years and never had an accident on the road. Am I lucky....well maybe. Am I skilled...most definately. You can die doing lots of things, even just walking down a flight of stairs. I'm sure you ride in a car every day, which is dangerous. If you love to ride like I do, your best bet is to be very conscious of what drivers are thinking and doing, and be careful accordingly. I hope you aren't scarred forever by what happened. When God decides to call you home, that's that. Relax and ride brother...just be careful!

Eric

Thanks man. I have never ridden a road motorcycle. I am only 16 years old. But I have debated getting a motorcycle in the near future. This has really put things in prospective for me. I wont quit riding dirt bikes. I have my own track. So at least if I break my neck, I have the satisfaction in knowing it is my fault.

• Like 1

Thanks man. I have never ridden a road motorcycle. I am only 16 years old. But I have debated getting a motorcycle in the near future. This has really put things in prospective for me. I wont quit riding dirt bikes. I have my own track. So at least if I break my neck, I have the satisfaction in knowing it is my fault.

exactly, as much as i love motorcycles i wont ride street, too dangerous, i know dirt biking is too, but on dirt a crash is a crash, its different than getting run over by a semi... i love to ride and have fun, but i also wanna live a long life so i try to be safe and stack the odds in my favor, im proud that a fellow rider (you) stopped to help. it means we do have good people in this world too! i really hope karma bites that driver in the ass someday, i also hope those riders all recover fully.

Guys, it's hard to say that you won't ever ride on the street. I've owned some sweet street bikes, but right now I ride a XR650L with dual purpose tires on it! Today I went and ran errands that took me over 25 miles of riding...and I wasn't nervous, just careful, the whole time. Every street bike I've ridden handled better on the road than my 650L, but my experience and caution help to keep me safe when I ride now. You shouldn't be afraid, just be careful. Remember, you can get hurt doing anything, but skill, respect, and caution are what keep you safe. Whether you ride on or off road, you risk danger...it's just a different type of danger. There's no reason NOT to ride either way...just be careful and rely on your skills. That's all any of us can do...

Awful....You never know,what if one of the bikes crossed center and in turn took out the other bikes? Never know till they investigate fully.Keep us posted if you can.

-J

The best advice I've ever heard about street bikes came from a guy I bought my original bike from.

"Always assume people around you are trying to hit you."

The more I rode, the more true it seemed.

The best advice I've ever heard about street bikes came from a guy I bought my original bike from.

"Always assume people around you are trying to hit you."

The more I rode, the more true it seemed.

ive heard that too. i wont be able to get a bike until i move out though

:D

even though my dad got his first ticket at 9 riding his dirtbike on the street with his cousin on the back, and has had a motorcycle ever since 🙂

I hate to say it but, it sounds like the guy that had trouble breathing has a broken neck and spinal cord. A friend of a friend just went through that playing football. Was hit in the back and had the same symptoms. Now he's paralyzed from the neck down.

If it was the cars fault, it's Hard to believe the 3 that didn't get hit, didn't beat the crap out of the guy.

That's a good thing you did man.

I, to am 16 but I also ride the roads as an insured and endorsed rider.

I've been in so many close calls that could have easily injured or killed me.

You gotta ride/drive smart, sounds like that prick in the car didn't deserve his license.

Take pride in what you did today, for you my friend, deserve the honor.

That sucks to hear. Hope the guys are alright. I saw a harley on the side of the road today. It was all haggered and the guys boots were laying there next to the bike. He must have already been in the ambulance to the hospital. Hope he is alright to.

I am sorry you had to see something like that at only 16. Remember it and ride smarter. I don't know what kind of gear these guys were wearing, but if you ride road YOU HAVE TO GEAR UP. Yes it is dangerous, but take as much away as possible. Road ridding is awesome I love it, but you just learn to always be looking for a way out of a bad situation, and always be thinking ahead and that cars are on the road to kill you. If you think like that then you'd be fine ridding a street bike some day. If you think that your invincible because you ride a GSXR1000, you won't last long.

im sorry if this is off topic, but after reading this it got me worried, i drive my car all the time to get where im going, but i hear off these awful stories both car and motorcycle that end in death, how can u make sure that wont be you? for instance, on average streets the head on traffic is only a few feet away =/ do you just drive safely and stack the odds in your favor?

im sorry if this is off topic, but after reading this it got me worried, i drive my car all the time to get where im going, but i hear off these awful stories both car and motorcycle that end in death, how can u make sure that wont be you? for instance, on average streets the head on traffic is only a few feet away =/ do you just drive safely and stack the odds in your favor?

who really cares? When its time to check out its time. Nothing you can do can stop it. Why not lock yourself in your room the rest of your life if you are that worried. 🙂