Sign in to follow this  

1978 DT 100 no sparky

Im working on a DT 100, and im not getting spark. I got a new spark plug for it. Does this bike need to have a battery in it to get spark? And does anyone know what the points need to be gapped at? The wires to the kill switch have been cut, as well as the wires to the speedometer cluster, would that have any effect on the spark issue?

It does not need a battery, there is no specific gap for the points. The wider they are gapped the earlier the timing. The only wire needed to run is the black one from the points/ condenser to the coil. Grounding that wire is what the kill button/ign. switch does in the off position. To set the points, I have found to adjust them a little wide, then line up the "fire/ F" mark and let them close gently while loosening and retightening the screw. If that doesn't work, your goal is to have them "break" at the fire mark. Good Luck

So assuming the points are in working shape, jumping a wire from the points/condenser directly to the coil, I should get spark?

The points should be set between 12 and 16 thousandths, or about the thickness of a matchbook cover, not critical to run but can affect the running. If the kill switch wires are cut they may be shorted. Does your bike still have the ignition switch? Anyway you could run a wire from the points to the coil like you said but you will need to make sure the other wires are removed from the coil so they do not interfere. Clean the points well before you waste a lot of time, use fine sandpaper, emory board etc then flush with contact cleaner, alchohol etc. Finish up with a clean business card dragged between the contacts to remove left over residue. good luck, wayne