Sign in to follow this  

how to test brake switch

wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction. i have a 450x and the rear brake switch on it is not working. i have the drc tailight and the front switch works, just not the rear.

there is power in one wire going to it... i should be able to see continuity with a voltmeter on the switch harness with the brake on/off right?

disconnect the power going into the switch, and place the leads of your VOM to the 2 leads of the switch. You should have continuity when your pedal is depressed.

You can also attach a 9v battery to the leads and see if you can light it up. If not, you might have a short in the lead running from the switch to the light.

yea no continuity. switch isnt more than a year old, cant imagine it went bad... but who knows. The harness is like 18 inches long maybe the wire was pinched or something.

also i bled the brake really well to rule out that possibility.

a hydro switch for your rear brake should only run about $20-30, depending on where you shop. I have a drum brake on the back of my XR350R, so a switch for it was only $4.95 from Honda. You could use one of these and hook it to your pedal with a long spring (as is factory on the XL350). Just remember to disconnect your original hydro switch and replace the banjo bolt in your brake system.

i tried that to make sure power was going to the switch, but the front brake switch works the brakelight too so i know its good