Sign in to follow this  

Brake disc's & pads

My 04 discs are at the service limit and I need to replace them. From what I've read, (yes, I did a search) most seem to prefer OEM disc's & pads.

OEM are more $ than some of the after market stuff.

What's the best way to go? OEM or after market? If after market, which manufacturer?

I ride mostly desert, Baja, dual sport (plated) and some mountain single track.

And away we go . . . .

I have 3 hour old stock pads front and rear and a 3 hour stock front rotor if you want them hit me up $50 buck for the set

Ebc cant go wrong.

sorry to hijack thread but does any1 know if or where you can get custom brake rotors? ive seen them on someother websites

Dyt

The OEM pads are superior to the aftermarket stuff and are worth the few extra $$$.

what do you mean custom?....what you want?

some writing on them. i found the site turns out the rotors i saw were for a mountain bike, dunno y i thought they were motorbike.

hope_custompair.jpg

The OEM pads are superior to the aftermarket stuff and are worth the few extra $$$.

Are you kidding?!?! I have never had a set of OEM pads last longer than 2-3 months, but the EBC's I have on now are almost at 5-6months and still look to have a lot of life left.

Are you kidding?!?! I have never had a set of OEM pads last longer than 2-3 months, but the EBC's I have on now are almost at 5-6months and still look to have a lot of life left.

I've had just the opposite results with EBC and found that the OEM pads also had better modulation.

I agree with camP if you don't want your bike to stop put in some EBC black or red pads,the only ones worth a damn are the sintered mxs pads but they cost about the same as the stock Honda Nissan pads and seem to tear up the disc and don't stop quite as well,go figure.

I agree with camP if you don't want your bike to stop put in some EBC black or red pads,the only ones worth a damn are the sintered mxs pads but they cost about the same as the stock Honds Nissan pads and seem to tear up the disc and don't stop quite as well,go figure.
I've had just the opposite results with EBC and found that the OEM pads also had better modulation.

WOW, I wonder if it has anything to do with the type of soils or environments we ride in. But I have never had stock pads last long on any of my bike's compared to EBC's or other aftermarket pads. Just my personal experience. 🙂

I agree with camP if you don't want your bike to stop put in some EBC black or red pads,the only ones worth a damn are the sintered mxs pads but they cost about the same as the stock Honds Nissan pads and seem to tear up the disc and don't stop quite as well,go figure.

very true. from now on i will only use stock pads. they are way more money but i tried the ebc reds and i think they wear out your rotors faster.

i also tried one of the tusk brand stainless "wave" rotors for my spare rear wheel and it is not as good as the stocker. maybe a braking or galfer disc will be better but whaddya expect for 49$.

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm sticking with OEM. (thanks roverracer122) My 04 disc's lasted 4 years. I did use some after market pads but they didn't last too long. Not sure if it was the pads or the old disc's that made them wear out.

For the riding that I do, OEM brakes are fine.

My 04 discs are at the service limit and I need to replace them. From what I've read, (yes, I did a search) most seem to prefer OEM disc's & pads.

OEM are more $ than some of the after market stuff.

What's the best way to go? OEM or after market? If after market, which manufacturer?

I ride mostly desert, Baja, dual sport (plated) and some mountain single track.

And away we go . . . .

Stock must be real good,,, it's what factory Honda use's according to Short's mechanic.

I just let Midas do my brakes you can't go wrong they are guaranteed for life. You should see the sweet muffler they put on my bike MRD has nothing on these guys!!!🙂