Sign in to follow this  

ATHENA 280 ??'s

1. What special tools do I need? (I have a decent set of tools already.)

2. Is there a need for rejetting in So. Cal weather?

3. Change sprocket sizes?

4. Do you like your 280 kit?

Ive searched the forums for an ATHENA thread and I couldnt find answers. Thanks guys.

TWMX did a review on it and liked it...they said they had to change the main jet (aparantley you have to with any bore kit) and its gonna give more power so you decide whether or not you want to change your rear sprocket.....its preferance really

i dont have one but i also heard that you have to go down (maybe up cant remember) a couple sizes on the main jet, and im sure if you have all metric sockets then you dont really need anymore tools unless your gonna hone the cylinder then you need a ball hone.

+1, yeah i know that you have to change the main jet (richen it) to compensate for the more ccs

You need to go leaner on the main.. You will get more bottom, but will lose some top end. You need a good pipe, top end cam and a good port job to get that top end back.

I love my 280, the bike gets so more fun to ride 🙂

oh by the way, for the 280 kit (83mm piston) you don't need any speciel tools, same tools as to do a top end rebuild. The 280 kit will bolt right on with out machine the cases.

Thanks guys. I just got a new kit on ebay. $300 - nice

I hope I dont lose too much top end. Thats where my bike is strong now.

Ive never done a piston, but I know Im capable.

What tools do I need for the piston? Is installing the rings tricky?

And also I forgot......

Do I break it in dry, and what the hell does that mean anyway?

Thanks guys. I just got a new kit on ebay. $300 - nice

I hope I dont lose too much top end. Thats where my bike is strong now.

Ive never done a piston, but I know Im capable.

What tools do I need for the piston? Is installing the rings tricky?

And also I forgot......

Do I break it in dry, and what the hell does that mean anyway?

300 damn, thats good

you should get a ball hone, and mabey a torque wrench if you are a torque wrech kinda of person, thats pretty much it. just follow the ring orentation in the manual, dry install means you install the piston with no oil on it, unlike a wet instal where you put a little bit of oil on everything.

300 damn, thats good

you should get a ball hone, and mabey a torque wrench if you are a torque wrech kinda of person, thats pretty much it. just follow the ring orentation in the manual, dry install means you install the piston with no oil on it, unlike a wet instal where you put a little bit of oil on everything.

On the CRF250 expect to have a main jet size of 158-160. The pilot on my in ended up being a 40 or 42 (don't recall of the top of my head). Put an 08 cam on it and a pipe and you'll be fine. Also, the R&D power pump is an excellent mod for $84 bucks off e-bay. I ended up with the ALJ all the way in (full squirt). It helps the bike pull better off the bottom.

300 damn, thats good

On the CRF250 expect to have a main jet size of 158-160 with the 37 mm carb. The pilot on my in ended up being a 40 or 42 (don't recall of the top of my head). Put an 08 cam on it and a pipe and you'll be fine. Also, the R&D power pump is an excellent mod for $84 bucks off e-bay. I ended up with the ALJ all the way in (full squirt). It helps the bike pull better off the bottom.

+1, yeah i know that you have to change the main jet (richen it) to compensate for the more ccs

No you lean it 1 or 2 sizes. The bigger the bore the more gas & air it pulls through the cylinder.

Todd

Thanks guys. I decided Ill do it right, and get a top end cam to compliment the BB kit. Ill just have my shop do it.

But Im curious about the 08 cam. Is that more for top end? Because Im looking at the Hotcams stage 2 right now.

Thanks guys. I decided Ill do it right, and get a top end cam to compliment the BB kit. Ill just have my shop do it.

But Im curious about the 08 cam. Is that more for top end? Because Im looking at the Hotcams stage 2 right now.

If your going to get a hotcam and want top end, go with the stage 3, even more top end than the stage 2.

162 main, 42 pilot, and maybe 1 leaner on the needle. My settings at sea level.

go with the 08 cam