'03 YZ250F Kickstarter question

Hey my kickstarter on my 03 yz250f stays engaged when the engine is turned by hand, anyone know how this is supposed to work, isn't the gear supposed to spin out of the way so it isn't free wheeling...the spring binds up and doesn't let the engine turn.

Sounds like the spring came out of the holder on the case. Friend had a Honda that did same thing and we replaced the spring since his old one had bent. You might want to pull the side cover off and on check it. I would not run it like that. The spring is supposed to rotate the gear up to a point where there is a stopper lever that disengages the pawl, and when its right, it doesn't click. You might also need to check and make sure that the hole where the spring goes has not broken out in the case.

I havent actually run the engine I am just in the process of rebuilding it, maybe i don't have the stopper in the right position, the spring seems fine but the idler gear turns the kickstart gear all the time and the one way clutch/clicker is still engaged and won't let the gear spin without binding the spring

I think i figured it out, thanks to Default Peanut! I was installing the spring by rotating it counter clockwise, this didn't put any pressure on the spring, therefor keeping it from pulling the stopper to the stopper plate, fixing this should make the one way clutch disengage and allow the gear to spin freely