Sign in to follow this  

R Oil Change - How I keep the mess in check

As I was changing my oil today I decided to take a few pics of what I do to help keep the mess in check. I'm sure there are several different "tricks" out there, but for anyone that don't have their own yet here's how I do it.

I use a small piece of thin cardboard, bend it in the middle, snip the corners off one end and wedge it under the crankcase drain bolt. This keeps the oil from running all over the frame. You may have to trim a bit to get it to fit right. Here are a few pics to show what I am talking about.

Btw - If anyone has any ideas for the mess that's created when the filter cover is removed, I'd like to hear about them.

OilChange.jpg

OilChange2.jpg

OilChange3.jpg

OilChange4.jpg

I use aluminum foil for both sides and the down tube drain. Stuff a couple of pieces of paper towel between the skid plate and engine case, then form the foil, about 6" by 6" folding up 3 sides and jam it in. Easy to make, and toss when you are done.

As I was changing my oil today I decided to take a few pics of what I do to help keep the mess in check. I'm sure there are several different "tricks" out there, but for anyone that don't have their own yet here's how I do it.

I use a small piece of thin cardboard, bend it in the middle, snip the corners off one end and wedge it under the crankcase drain bolt. This keeps the oil from running all over the frame. You may have to trim a bit to get it to fit right. Here are a few pics to show what I am talking about.

Btw - If anyone has any ideas for the mess that's created when the filter cover is removed, I'd like to hear about them.

OilChange.jpg

OilChange2.jpg

OilChange3.jpg

OilChange4.jpg

Man!! check out how new that bike is!🙂 I need to get one to replace the old 01.

Simple solution: a Billywho man funnel. Everyone I know with a 650R uses one.

They can be tough to find as most dealers only carry them for the "more popular" 450s.

You can get them from the TT store. They are at the bottom of this page:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2007/default.asp?p=258

I've seen the Billywho funnel, but I get the cardboard for free and it works. 🙂

Man!! check out how new that bike is!:D I need to get one to replace the old 01.

:worthy: Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't see much offroad use. It's got about 1100 miles on it now and about 75% of them are pavement.

Ha i know every time i change the 650R's oil i get oil all over my hands and the floor. I just let it drain down the frame and skip pan, and spray brake clean afterwords to clean it up. I normally drain the carb and basically lay the bike on its side to drain every last drop of oil out of the crankcase:prof:

And i can squeeze a full 2 quarts of oil into the bike.

I think 2 tricks ive found to changing the oil are, lean it way over to get the oil out, and turn over the motor with the kickstarter to get the oil out:thumbsup:

^^^+1 on kicking it over a few times and leaning it to get all the old out. After doing this and replacing the filter, it takes 2 full quarts to fill it back up. I'm not sure what they were smoking when they wrote the manual, but it says 1.7qts with filter change. 🙂