Sign in to follow this  

powder coating question

i want to get some bling out of my wheels.

first question: is should i get them powder coated or have them anodized?

second question: who should i send them to?

i would just get them powder coated, its cheaper easier to get done,

any local PC shop should be able to help you that way you can compare prices and equipment that they have, (DO not take them to some guys garage that does them in a house oven) this works with some parts but not rims, plus you will have a larger selection of colors with powder.

quick look in your yellow pages should point you to some local shops

I agree with powder coating, MUCH cheaper and you can touch it up when you get a ding or scratch unlike anodizing. I would say you could get two rims done for under a $100.

For my street only supermoto bike I"m getting the entire wheel powdercoated black. As an experiment I"m not even going to disassmeble the spokes or nipples or hubs. Since it's street it has never needed trueing. Of course I'm going to have them trued up before I have him coat the entire assembly still assembled. Then I'll see how long they can go before needing trueing again. As some would say this is a bad way to do it because I won't be able to adjust the nipples...well, we'll just see. I say they may or may not need trueing in a year or two but worse comes to worse and we have to true then I hope the spoke wrench will break the coating enough to tighten anything that needs tightened.

It's a supermoto bike I forgot to mention. Wouldn't try this on a dirtbike though, needs adjusting too often.

I agree with powder coating, MUCH cheaper and you can touch it up when you get a ding or scratch unlike anodizing. I would say you could get two rims done for under a $100.

For my street only supermoto bike I"m getting the entire wheel powdercoated black. As an experiment I"m not even going to disassmeble the spokes or nipples or hubs. Since it's street it has never needed trueing. Of course I'm going to have them trued up before I have him coat the entire assembly still assembled. Then I'll see how long they can go before needing trueing again. As some would say this is a bad way to do it because I won't be able to adjust the nipples...well, we'll just see. I say they may or may not need trueing in a year or two but worse comes to worse and we have to true then I hope the spoke wrench will break the coating enough to tighten anything that needs tightened.

It's a supermoto bike I forgot to mention. Wouldn't try this on a dirtbike though, needs adjusting too often.

thanks for the advice, but with a good spokerench i think youll be able to break the coating