Sign in to follow this  

Good bye XRL hello XRR!

well i was tired of buying parts for my xr650l to make it faster or lighter or better off road, and so i decided to put it up for sale. 3 days later i sold it and then found a 2001 xr650r for sale about 200 miles away, called and yada yada yada now i have a street legal xr650r that i just rode 200 miles with 15/ 48 gearing, man what a long ride. what should i look for on this bike to be wrong? it runs awesome! has a big gun pipe uni filter and has been jetted, i knew the mods for the xrl but what are the must do tricks for this bike? for some reason i can NOT make the search tool work on thumper talk. Thanks guys!

well i was tired of buying parts for my xr650l to make it faster or lighter or better off road, and so i decided to put it up for sale. 3 days later i sold it and then found a 2001 xr650r for sale about 200 miles away, called and yada yada yada now i have a street legal xr650r that i just rode 200 miles with 15/ 48 gearing, man what a long ride. what should i look for on this bike to be wrong? it runs awesome! has a big gun pipe uni filter and has been jetted, i knew the mods for the xrl but what are the must do tricks for this bike? for some reason i can NOT make the search tool work on thumper talk. Thanks guys!

How long did it take you before you figured out that it didn't have an electric start? 🙂

Okay, so now you have to add a steel frame, a smaller carb, cut the springs for the front and back suspension, and then strap on about 40 pounds worth of lead.

Seriously, congrats on your decision. I have an "L" and wish it was lighter and more powerful. I'm not sure why your search engine won't work, but I'm told that the "R" is more powerful across the board than the "L".

I'd be interested to know how you like your new bike versus the old one...please keep us informed. Thanks...

man so far the e start is my only let down! also my L was so much more comfy going down the street of course. but i did achieve what i was going after by buying the R instead of making the L an R, a street legal dirt bike that i can jump! sure you can jump an L and you can also jump a cadillac. the gas mileage is much worse on my R no surprise but also the power is just undescribeable, i smoked my buddies drz400 and cr125 before, now its just going to be plain ugly! what I am intrested in finding out tomorrow is which I will be able to ride longer throughout the day. it takes a lot of effort throwing the big L between trees and hitting jumps just right, but i feel the suspension also was much smoother. I know i will be faster on my R now but its so much more jarring than the L from what i can tell so far, it will be different getting back to a 100% dirt bike again. i really really wish i could have both, but i just have the R now, hopefully i will get a lot of miles out of it, i put 8 thousand on the L i had this year! sold it with 19,000 miles for $200 more than i paid for it! ( i did some fixing it up...). maybe over the next few days i can figure out if I made the right decision by getting the R instead of a lower mileage L!!!! thats the question for me!

Maybe some day you'll be able to get another L and have the best of both worlds. 🙂

The R is an awesome bike. I've never owned one, but I've ridden a few. Power and handling is in a different league then the L. When I was young like you, dirt riding was my only priority. Now, creature comforts like an electric start and a comfy seat are just as important as the dirt capabilities. The L fits the bill on those accounts for me. :worthy:

Have fun with the R for many years. There aren't many bikes out there that can touch it :D

man so far the e start is my only let down! also my L was so much more comfy going down the street of course. but i did achieve what i was going after by buying the R instead of making the L an R, a street legal dirt bike that i can jump! sure you can jump an L and you can also jump a cadillac. the gas mileage is much worse on my R no surprise but also the power is just undescribeable, i smoked my buddies drz400 and cr125 before, now its just going to be plain ugly! what I am intrested in finding out tomorrow is which I will be able to ride longer throughout the day. it takes a lot of effort throwing the big L between trees and hitting jumps just right, but i feel the suspension also was much smoother. I know i will be faster on my R now but its so much more jarring than the L from what i can tell so far, it will be different getting back to a 100% dirt bike again. i really really wish i could have both, but i just have the R now, hopefully i will get a lot of miles out of it, i put 8 thousand on the L i had this year! sold it with 19,000 miles for $200 more than i paid for it! ( i did some fixing it up...). maybe over the next few days i can figure out if I made the right decision by getting the R instead of a lower mileage L!!!! thats the question for me!

the exact same convert as well...i was riding the L.I m much of the R guy...so its no regret...its what i am looking for.kickstart don't bother me at all.I bought a domi to go well with the R.Domi does the street riding and commute,R does the dirty stuffs.have done a 2700km 5day trip on the R.done foam filling on the seat,fairings,dual purpose stuffs,but no matter what,the R has weak rear storage support.infact,i just made another deal on a '87 dominator.so 2dominator,and 1 R.the R will be around for as long as it takes.Powerband is so so awesome.its all there.fullstop!!

just so if you're interested,here's a link of some of the Dual Sported XRR from TT.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530494

The FAQ has several useful mods.

thanks martinfan! i wish i could have kept my L, do you know as much about the R as you do the L you answered many many questions for me with my L!!!!

thanks martinfan! i wish i could have kept my L, do you know as much about the R as you do the L you answered many many questions for me with my L!!!!

Not as much as most of the R guys here.