Rotella 15w40 heavy duty and slippage

I just switched from Amsoil synthetic to Rotella heavy duty conventional as many have stated they swear by rotella. When getting on the gas the engine rpm's pick up considerably with a delay before power it transfered to any foward momentum. Under low speed high load slippage is heavy.

Was this a mistake going from synthetic to conventional? The Rotella is not energy conserving which is what I have always been told to stay away from.

Sorry to start a new oil thread... if only they didn't discontinue Mobil 1 redcap.

I had a similar problem when the engine was cold. I thought it was maybe the rotella oil also. I took the clutch springs out and measured them and found they had sagged. I replaced them and refilled with rotella and now it runs good.

I used to run yamalube, but made my clutch not like to slip even when pulled all the way it would stall on concrete.

switched to bel ray, bike ran cooler, had a bit more power, clutch felt much smoother as well as the shifting

switched to amsoil and everything got a bit better, ran on avg 10 degree's cooler, max temp went from 217 down to 206

I like amsoil and bel ray, rotella i believe is made by shell, i don't know if I could trust a gasoline distribution company as my oil company. amsoil is the first with synthetic, and best according to all the independent tests i've seen, except in the belray harley oil, which is slightly better

WRcaption, do you use the thumper semi synthetic bel ray oil? If so, how do you find it?

i used to use that, but switched to the superbike oil. chaparral motorsports sells all of them though.

click the link and type... "bel ray" in the search box. it wouldn't let me link the page, just the search page. go figure

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/search_results.asp?mscssid=04315A726A76245C7B3A28BE6A8A37F7&Gift=false&GiftID=

• 9 months later...
You need to use Rotella t synthetic, I think it is 15-40 in a dark blue jug. I have been using it for 5 years with no problems or slippage. I use it in my 08 yami and when I had a honda in both sides.

Rotella synthetic is actually 5W/40 weight.

Either Rotella T is fine, 15w/40 (white jug) or 5w/40 (blue jug). I'm not selling this stuff, but the oil is not the source of your clutch problem. Maybe its time for disassembly and inspection of the plates and springs.

I've run both Rotella 15w-40 out of the white jug and run Amsoil 10w-40 synthetic motocylcle oil in my bike. I've noticed no change in clutch operation between the two, just the usual smell from Rotella vapors. Your clutch issues are due to something else besides oil like adam said; inspect your clutch fibers, spring lengths and hub/baskets. Even with a worn basket and hub, my clutch is working reasonably well using aftermarket springs. The yamasprings seem to sack out easily. YMMV.

i dont have enough fingers to count all of the mis-information posts in this thread and its only page 2!!!

facts:

1) not the oil, it's the clutch

2) you can actually MIX those oils and be fine

3) thousands have switched to Shell Rotella T 15w40 with ZERO effects. its a conventional oil.

4) synthetic wont cause slippage either

5) the only oil you cannot use is labled Energy Conserving II

which i challenge you to even find a bottle labled as such!!!

Your problem could be that you went from synthetic back to regular oil usually once you start running a synthetic oil you should continue to do so, trying switching back to a synthetic oil.

Nice of you to dig up a year old thread, especially on a topic that has been beat to death.